Rig Master v.s. Thermo King A.P.U.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Miami Trucker, May 22, 2017.

1. Miami Trucker

Miami Trucker Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Miami,Fl.
    O.K. Folks,just wanted to know which you would Recommend ?

LOOKING for Dependability,and Reliability.

All I've Known driving for 16 Years are The Thermo Kng A.P.U.'s

NEVER had a Truck with a Rig Master,but from what I've seen On Line.

It LOOKS More Sound than The T.K. ? ( being a STAND ALONE ).

Also IF You Own a Rig Master : Is the CAT MOTOR More Dependable than the Other Model ?

I'm assuming Yes ? Just by being a CAT Engine.

Just The FACTS Please......Keep on Truckin'......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Given that criteria, TK has the best diesel apu on the us market

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I always had Tk's and liked them. I have 0 actual experience with rigmaster, but I understand drivers call them rig disaster, and they are supposedly underpowered for the amount of electric they generate.

5. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I have a rigmaster on my former New to me Prime truck . All in one unit powers my Microwave , Refridgerator and Tv . Louder than some but does the job . Model # is lg200k. It's connected to a 1500 watt inverter.

6. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    Go with Thermal King, please. Rig Master is way too noisy for those that have to park next to you for the night. TK is noisy, but not like Rig Master.

7. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    They're no more noisy than a reefer.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  8. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    If you take care of it and actually check the fluids other than at pm's the rigmaster will last a very long time.

The unit I have on my truck has 6k hours on it now and I've had it for 2.5 years. The only issue I've had was around 4500 hours it needed a new water pump because it was leaking. That was $200 for the part and labor.

Now I do a pm on it about every 500 hours even though the book days 1000. Pushing it to 1000 I believe is why most people run into problems with the unit, especially with all that start and stopping it does.

In the summer time, I can keep my truck between 65 to 70 degrees pretty nicely while it's 100 plus outside. If you look at the specs, its got more cfm for cooling than the thermokinngs, an alternator with more charging amps to run the items in the truck, and an easier to work on unit. Plus it's not tied into your trucks coolant system like the thermokings are.

As for the noise, you can have the tailpipe on the ringmaster adjusted so its not blowing down but out instead and that'll change the sound on it completely. I've heard thermokings that have been louder than a rigmaster many of times. The reason most think they are quieter is because they have a different sound pitch, that's related to the exhaust on the unit. Something you can do to any rigmaster.

Hope that helps.

Gentlemanfarmer and Scott72 Thank this.
  9. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I was thinking about the exhaust on the rigmaster and ways to quiet it down .

10. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Witch out of the two would be good for someone that wants to shut there motor off in below o temps

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.