Right turn accident

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lunchbox714, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    That's what spot mirrors are good for. As every truck driver knows,you can never have too many mirrors.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Sounds like you did the illegal Jughandle maneuver where you keep your trailer in the right lane, tractor in the left lane and make a wide sweeping right turn. The book says not to do this because 4wheeler traffic thinks you're going to make a left turn then next thing they know your trailer is crushing them up against the curb.

The book says keep your tires (and therefore) trailer close to the curb to block access to 4wheelers so you have the right turn lane all to yourself and can slam dunk a safe right turn.

Am I right or double right @JReding ?

JReding Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  5. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Well, in ideal circumstances, yes, but it remains a case by case scenario. I have an example right here. If you go to 4:15, I'm getting ready to turn right from the offramp from I-5 on to Madison St in downtown Seattle with a 53' trailer. The only possible way for me to do this is to straddle both lanes, and even then I end up in the oncoming traffic lanes to the right on Madison. Obviously, I have to the extremely vigilant watching for those attempting to squeeze up my side.

Screenshot_20180409-090202.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  6. Hoofbeats

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    nelson.jpg

Your arrow looks like a wiener.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  7. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
  8. Hoofbeats

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
  9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You've never met the right hand turn where you're trying to hit a 12 foot wide driveway with a 53 foot spread and can't go past aways and hit it from the other side of the road? Some of the four wheeler drivers are simply dumber than a rock ot they were on their phones all the time in drivers ed too

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    This is interesting. The OP states he needed both lanes to complete his turn, which happens a lot. Making the turn from the curb lane only would mean him running over the grass or firehydrant or whatever else. That's why most trailers say "this truck makes WIDE right turns" to let the dumm 4 wheelers know NOT to pass on the right. But even so, you have to assume a 4 wheeler will try to pass on the right while turning and a good driver will double and triple check his mirrors in the process and be able to stop if a car comes up. Just curious where the 4 wheeler hit the truck, the point of impact ? Was it trailer or power unit ? But i say 4 wheeler is at fault.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You have the right to remain silent, use it, if your a company driver and there handling it let them know of the contact, also consult with a attourney even if your a company driver, the company and there insurance co, is not there for you they are there to protect the company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.