Road check 2017

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Woodchuck88, May 29, 2017.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You don't need to be a mechanic. Just need the card. I have the card. And I could care less for it. If my brakes are loose. I'm wrenching. Dot will never know. And I'm not waiting around for road call.

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    They take my trailer every single time I go to Phoenix or SLC. Like clockwork. I don't even go there if I'm trying to keep my empty lol

4. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Yep. Securement and they will also be breaking seals, per my DM. She said they are breaking seals and checking securement. Anyone picking up preloaded trailers beware. Note that it was preloaded on the BOL when you sign it, especially if it says you have inspected the load. Don't sign that ####.

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I got inspected at the Chowchilla scales years ago. The female inspector was about to get under my truck to do the brake stroke measurements the correct way but her male colleague came over and told her the pop out pop in method of measurement to save time and not have to get under the truck on a creeper. The look she gave him was priceless, as she continued to do her job the correct way.

Lepton1 and RedRover Thank this.
  6. reverendhandy

reverendhandy Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Modesto, CA
    Easiest way to check adjustments and break inspections.
    1. Look at overall condition of brakes.
    Look for any cracks, chips larger than a dime, oil or grease.
    2. Measure the pad at the thinnest point and if it's less than 1/4", replace it. Also, there is a V where the pads come together. If the thickness is at the bottom of the V, replace.
    3. Since you can't pull the slack adjuster by hand, the easiest way to make sure you have the right play is to set your brakes and measure the distance of the rod. Next chalk your wheels and release the brakes. Remeasure the rod.
    The distance in travel should measure 3/4 of an inch between set and released.
    If the distance is less, brake is to tight. If the brake is greater it's to loose.
    That 3/4 inch play equates to a hair over 1 1/2" when applied.
    1 1/2" to 2" travel when applied, means the brakes are properly adjusted.

7. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    You guys must be awfully weak if you can't pull the slack adjuster back by hand.

tinytim, AModelCat, TripleSix and 3 others Thank this.
  8. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    Today's New breed pre trip insp. Procedures:
    1. Kick 1 steer tire ,get in truck with 30 gal. Soda cup
    2. Look left . mirror adjusted
    3. Look right . mirror adjusted
    4. Grab CB Mic. say " break 1 9 for a radio check "

Pretrip complete

bzinger, SingingWolf, Lepton1 and 5 others Thank this.
  9. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Thats about right lol hey, you gotta make sure the windows go up and down too...

And once every six months, IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT, big emphasis there, you check the oil level :)

bzinger, RedRover and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I wonder why it seems a few days in June are any different then the other 50 weeks of the year. When I drove this CVSA road check was more a pain in the butt then anything. I never had any issues because I was a professional driver 52 weeks out of the year, not just for a few days in June. Everybody in these boards that say they are truckers should also be professionals as well. Hand you know the rules. You know (or at least should know) how to pre and post trip a tractor trailer. Be a professional 52 weeks out of the year and stop worrying about a few dang days in June!

11. Mahertruck

Mahertruck Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2017
    By the way . Wheelbase 228 freightliner 2015 good for pulling 53 trailer ?
    I heard drivers say hard to make turn what is that's true ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.