Roadrunner transportation from the start

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by johnn5272000, Jul 22, 2014.

1. T_TRUCKER.

T_TRUCKER. Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A city near you.
    Well I am VERY motivated, and I know if I can get a good truck then I will be much happier, she was just running terminal to terminal and she netted to herself 2200 for one week, I'd be happy with that, YA know why? NO DISPATCHER! I don't see the point really in leasing when I still have to Awnser to a dispatcher. So this is what I'm going to do, and im going into it with about 3500 saved, I hope that is enough. I run very hard and I'll have to learn the tricks to dispatching myself but I am up for the challenge!
    john has your truck still been breaking down? I'm sorry to hear that, honestly that is my BIGGEST worry, any advice on what type of truck to aim for? I really like volvo, I was looking on arrow and found a few good deals.

Boy Howdey Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johnn5272000

johnn5272000 Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Bloomington in
    I like volvo as well but it is a real crap shoot on buying a used truck good luck to you. you see what bad luck I have had with this truck

CrossJ Thanks this.
  4. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    subscribed, nice thread !

5. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    I got a rate sheet for terminal to terminal lanes from Roadrunner today via email. Am I missing something? These rates look awfully low. Do these rates not include fuel surcharge? [​IMG][​IMG]

6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    No those rates are pre-fuel surcharge.

7. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    That makes me feel better. Thanks

8. kendall

kendall Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2010
    crescent oklahoma
    whats does the abbreviations mean

9. T_TRUCKER.

T_TRUCKER. Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A city near you.
    I'm taking a wild guess and gonna say the city's the terminals are at

10. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    That pay sheet scared me as well. Glad to hear that is pre fuel surcharge.

As far as trucks go, I have driven a lot of them and have to say that Freightliner and Peterbuilt have been the most reliable for me. Internationals always break down on me and so did the Volvo I had and it was brand new! I was an O/O in 1998 to 1999 for a year. I bought a 1994 Freightliner FLD, 13 spd, Detroit 60 wide open. I ran the piss out of it! The only thing I ever had happen was the bolts to one of the belts broke and the A/C was hanging forward. I found out this happened because the A/C wasn't working lol! I pulled into the TA and the shop gave me 2 bolts, yes gave, and I fixed it myself. I only had it a year so who knows what else could have happened.

I had a Pete 387 (1999 company driver) and that thing was solid! Had a 13 speed with a 550 CAT. My favorite truck ever! It was a year old but it was a nice ride.

The Volvo (1999) was brand new, really smooth, quiet and seemed like a luxury truck, too bad it broke down after the first week! Power steering pump if I remember right.

I'll probably go with a Freightliner to start back out. They are or were cheaper to fix and most places seemed to have parts for them. I really don't want a Freightshaker but seems like the right move to make unless things have changed. Volvo and Peterbilt always need to go to their shop or seems like that. I would love to have a brand new Kenworth W900 but I need to make money first and then down the line think about a big truck. Then again who knows?

11. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I don't understand the Freightshaker term. My classic is solid. The dash on my old International 9400 would rattle and throw a screw out every week. It was also so loud inside the cab, even with the windows up. The insulation is much better on the FLD Classic. I wanted a Volvo, still kinda do, but the reliability, parts and labor prices kinda scare me away.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.