Roehl Transport lease program

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Threerivers, Nov 26, 2016.

1. RJ Nelson

RJ Nelson Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Hmmm, molar you as a company driver are also paying for a truck you will never own. Every mile you turn is paying for the truck for the company. A lease op pulls the same loads you do and make .50 + per mile more than a company driver after all costs both fixed and variable with more say as to how they run.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ralphbohm

ralphbohm Light Load Member

May 6, 2014
    As hard as your post is, I can agree to just about everything you are mentioning here because back in '89, I leased from (New) Prime Inc. and what a mess that was. The promised loads and miles and dedicated run was broken by them before the ink was dry on the contract and it only went downhill from there.

If I am not mistaken, these people back then were the same folks who, in the 70's offered the "Dollar Down" cabovers under the name Midwestern Distribution. remember them?

Wow, this never changes and it's amazing the steady stream of victims who get taken year after year. here we are almost 2017 and this is exactly what it was like in the 80s, the 70s ...

Many of you folks reading this are probably like me, wishing with all your heart this were not true. Wishing there was some way to make it. hell, you are willing to put in ridiculous hours, drive ridiculous miles, accept idiotically long periods away from home and loved ones to pursue some sort of independence and business ownership.

I still try to blind myself to these hard facts even now because somewhere I think there is that ONE carrier, that ONE entity who would work with you in all honesty, just ONE. I gave up in 2001 went back to school, obtained a 4-year degree and a USCG merchant mariner license, worked on offshore supply boats and drillships as a 2nd Officer and laid off due to world crude oil oversupply; back for the past 18 months trying to make some sort of money driving and it's amazing what has and has not changed out here.

dunchues and nordrunner Thank this.
  4. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Just my two cents. I drove for Roehl for over a year. Enjoyed most of it. I looked into the Lease purchase program very heavily. What I liked most about it is that it is a "walk away" lease. I am at the age where I could find myself not being able to pass a physical at any time. Good health now, but one never knows. Also, the costs are reasonable as far as I could see.

All in all if you run hard and smart you will have gross profits a little more than a company driver. About 10K or so more. Roehl does have a good program with good support for L/O's.
    My advice would be to give them a call if you are thinking about it. There ARE a lot of lease purchase scams out there. I think Roehl is not one of them though. JMHO YMMV

reniffk Thanks this.
  5. reniffk

reniffk Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Hazel Park, MI
    When I was with "New" Prime I looked in to the lease program there and I am doing my research on a good company to lease from next year, This has been a lot of good information about Roehl I talked to a few company drivers in '14 and they said they where happy there.

6. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    The only reason people do a fleece purchase is because they are broke or have lousy credit. Either way if you are you should not be trying to run a business if you are!!!!

. Straighten out your own house first!! There is no magic bullet to being an owner operator....that includes being a glorified company driver who pays the carriers bills.

Nothing wrong being a company driver. Good benifits etc. This is better than being a pretend owner operator.

Sorry for the hard truth. Has to be said.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  7. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I just talked to a LP from Roehl today, nice guy but things haven't changed much since I was a company driver there and looking into their LP. They keep part of the fuel discount, and from what he said the pick your own freight option doesn't work well, it did at first but now you don't get enough information to make sound business decisions. The rates per mile are low and you pretty much need to run like forced dispatch to get along. I am not a LP hater, matter of fact I like the idea with good company, its how I bought my truck. I just don't think Roehl has a good program. IMHO

8. Sthornton31

Sthornton31 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2016
    I started with Roehl back in 2013 and I didn't last long there. I learned flatbedding from them and wasn't getting the miles to make a decent check so I converted back to van. That was another mistake on my behalf. I know several people who worked at Roehl and some who leased. All I can tell you because each company does have their ups and downs is to do you! If you feel like its a good deal...make it happen. It doesn't matter what any of us say, you have to believe it will work in order for you to make it work. Keep up with your money, your miles, and your home time. Keep a positive can do attitude and you will succeed. Communication is the key with these companies, make them keep their word to you. Best of luck and make that money!!

9. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    "The only reason people do a fleece purchase is because they are broke and have lousy credit."

This is an interesting take on reality. Easy credit, high interest, your responsibility, your choice. Zero down payment and you get a shiny new toy. The company provides freight, you provide everything else. That's a lease. If anybody is in denial about the terms, that's their problem.

There are many successful lease operators. The loudest group among those that lease are those that failed. Failure is most likely caused from thinking that the freedom a lease offers can be taken for granted. You have to run harder than a company driver for the same pay. You always have to subtract from the number entering your bank account. You have to maintain your truck at your own expense. You have to realize that a lot of your money earned is going toward an overpriced lease purchase. You're not getting screwed you're paying for a truck with HUGE interest attached.

Freedom to go home when you want and to turn down loads....is that worth the price of a lease purchase? It's what you have to decide for yourself.

10. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    No!

kanidana Thanks this.
  11. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    To me it is. I hate being forced to go where I don't want to go. I hate to have to earn time off 1 day per week. I can easily take 7 days off every three weeks and comfortably make a living. It's all about what each of us thinks is important.

I've banked more money as a lease operator than I ever did as a company driver...and I've filed my taxes every year and got a refund every year. Just saying.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.