Rooftop AC

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SHC, Mar 29, 2012.

1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    What do you do about the generator exhaust buildup on hot, humid days with no wind?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    But aren't your windows closed and the AC running on those days? Just kidding. I get your point.

4. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    do they look at you guys funny when you pull up to the car pumps to put gasoline in yer generator's ?

5. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I ran a 2600 watt yamaha a few years ago and it worked fine. I used to get some looks when I would pull right up to the island for gas. I pulled flat and had shorter stacks so I could wheel right up without an issue. Most times I just walked over with my gas can though.

SHC Thanks this.
  6. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    What are the legalities of having gasoline in or on the truck?

7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I'm guessing that since the tank on these gens only hold about 3 gallons at most, I would doubt any.

8. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Sorry for the delay in replying, been one of them days...
    No problem with exhaust gases in my setup. The whole rear of the enclosure is open, and the exhaust is at the top along the rear. Heat rises, so not been an issue in hot or cold weather thus far. Another reason I mounted it on the passenger side though, as there are 2 louvered ducts on the rear of the sleeper on the drivers side.
    I carry 2-2 gallon gas cans. The EU3000is uses @2 gallons per 11hrs with portable ac unit I have right now set to 70-72 degrees and the generator in "econ" mode. I just walk over to the gas pumps after filling the generator up, and if I ever got any funny looks I guess I missed them.
    I intentionally left the front door open at the bottom, where the vents are for air intake. Look and you will see a gap at the bottom of the door, and like I said the whole rear of it is open.
    Two guys were actually thinking of banging on the truck and paging me inside the J last weekend, as they saw the dog in the drivers seat, while it was 92 degrees out. apparently they could not hear the generator running and had no idea I had the ac set to 70!
    Cost of materials on my setup is @$300 at most. I can give a material list if needed. No extra holes were drilled, as I used the holes from the step and 2 bolts that stick out past the nuts on the suspension brackets. I jumped up and down on the tray before the genset got installed, and nothing moved at all.:biggrin_25525:
    Brackets and the tray that is under the generator are sprayed with bed liner, the cover and door are sprayed with silver high temp paint and primer. No issues thus far, and the enclosure and front of the generator stay cool to the touch.
    Legally, we can carry 8 gallons of gas, including the generators tank. I carry 7.4 gallons all told, so no worries. I actually thought of using a DEF tank and filling it with gas, what they dont know etc.....:biggrin_25525:
    I do not have the remote start, as it was a last minute decision to buy it from a local Honda dealer. Would be nice, and it may well come in time. Not a big hassle to get out and turn a key though IMHO:biggrin_25522:
    Next time I am at home, I will install the wiring permanently. 2 Shore power boxes at the back of the cab, and 2 @3' extensions running to them. Can just unplug the genset and plug shore power in when at home, or anywhere with shore power that way.
    I would recommend an actual battery charger though, as the 12amp DC output requires the generator to have the economy mode turned off to get the 12 amps. Be cheaper in the long run to leave it in economy mode and just have a battery charger wired in.
    Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Martin

9. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Looks like I bought a 1000 watt Honda today for $600.00... 2011 model demo.

Now I need the a/c unit.

10. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    You can buy a nice remote 8 gallon gas tank from Northern Tool...

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Here's a couple of solutions I've seen in the last couple of days.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.