Running straps over tarps

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Dave1837, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I understand. I’m just pointing out some drivers can’t help it if they load there

Smut, Coffey and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I concur - I use the odd 2” or 4” to prevent billowing and flapping on difficult shapes.

4. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    They don’t totally tarp the load. Just drape then and pin the corners. You can still line everything up and then secure the tarps. I would bet that’s how 90% of drywall is done.

you’d really hate this, my customer secures and tarps(shrink wraps) the majority of my loads. I just hang flags and go.

PPDCT, FerrissWheel, cke and 3 others Thank this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    It all depends on what your hauling we had loads of usg boxed steel grid that holds tiles up over your head in offices, they put heavy plastic over load then you roll tarps over plastic then straps must go over out side of load?

jdchet and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's a whole lotta loads that work good or better with straps over tarps.

Onions come to mind.
    Those places that hang your tarps up for you to drive under. They ROCK. No reason to throw a fit.

There's a whole lot of WORSE loads I'd rather not take. Loads that belong on a curtain trailer instead. I don't know why any company would want to rip up $1000 worth of tarps. Because the shipper is too cheap to pay for the proper trailer.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  7. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    E7B60E2E-13EC-4E96-A614-9DB58BC674CD.jpeg

Try not to do it often... but sometimes I rather strap over the tarp than have my tarp collapse off a piece I absolutely cannot walk on to fix it...

jamespmack, OLDSKOOLERnWV, cke and 7 others Thank this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Its tacky no matter which way u spin it

9. ChevyCam

ChevyCam Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    You guys beat me to it. 90% of the wallboard places I have loaded have a overheard tarp system where the workers roll out your tarps and drape them for you. At most you are allowed to get out of the truck and throw a couple belly straps when needed. Places like Continental Bldg. Products comes to mind or even norbord, georgia pacific. Not my prefered way to do thing but these shippers give you no other option.

10. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I agree I don't like it but on a my Reitnouer trailer over both axles there are no winches so I either have to use ratchets or pocket winches and it's a PIA on a tarped load to constantly have to undo the tarp to tighten them so I just go over the top of the tarp to make life easier...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Cabinover101 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Thank you!

Badmon and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.