Running With Shipex

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by atruckr, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Sometimes what you hear and what is reality can be far apart.

mushroom1464, Truckrazy and atruckr Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    This is where I saw the problem about shipex and the opti idle. Looks like a serious problem..hot and no sleep . Saving fuel at the drivers expense

@atuckr

POS#2, Metallica88 and atruckr Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I worked for Crete years ago when they used opti-idle (before APU's and battery pack a/c cooling units became popular) and I could never get use to it, no matter how long I had to use it. A reefer cycling doesn't shake the truck 1/2 as much as a 12.7 liter truck engine starting and stopping.

JRTrax, Lonesome and atruckr Thank this.
  5. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Agree. The newer freightliners, at least the one I have 2018, does not have a vent in the upper bunk. My wife almost roasts to death when she is up there at night. We easily deal with the reefer noise but I cant imgine the truck cutting on and off all night, especially with a company like shipex where it cuts on and off under 90.degrees ..wifes not gonna put up with that!

atruckr Thanks this.
  6. atruckr

atruckr Road Train Member

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    Couple of skillet brothers meet again! Met up with @Bumper again. Had some laughs and good conversation.
    20190608_210132.jpg

7. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Well I pulled into the toll booth at the start of the Eastbound Kansas Turnpike tonight and as I was taking my ticket a Kansas State Trooper walked up and asked me to park over on the right shoulder in front of his police car. I did and he walked up and I said, Let me guess its inspection time. He laughed and said yep. My truck has 50,000 miles on it and the trailer is pretty new too so I wasn’t too worried. He did a walk around level2 inspection. Wrote it up and sent me on my way. Hopefully that was the only one I get on this trip.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    atruckr Thanks this.
  8. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Yes we did and I finally got a chance to buy a microwave and food!! A happy trucker for sure!! See ya at the next one, on to Jacksonville!!

atruckr Thanks this.
  9. atruckr

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    I wouldn't knock it till you try it been working great for me and i didn't think i was going to be able to deal with it either. These trucks are very quiet. At first it would wake me when it first started but now i don't feel a thing and sleep through it. Truck will idle without opti above 84. With opti you can control the temp to have it idle as needed to keep you comfortable.

smokey12 and motocross25 Thank this.
  10. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    This is just a question out of pure nosiness. Does the opti idle also act as a battery monitor? For example could you park and keep the parking lights on for it to idle in longer increments?

atruckr Thanks this.
  11. atruckr

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    Darn that's a long vid . I didn't get to the part about opti idle but i can tell you this guy lacks experience. The things he is saying about what you could encounter here at ShipEX sounds about right. But there are ways to handle that better and smooth it out for yourself. To much to explain here.
    I'm not finding fault with him at all if i didn't have my experience would probably go in a similar direction.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Lonesome and Bumper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.