Ryder just plain ignored me

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jescott418, Apr 24, 2018.

1. jescott418

jescott418 Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Mt Morris,IL
    So I had enough of being dispatched beyond any reasonable HOS with a Ryder dedicated position. So I sent my manager a email that I quit because a month into the new account I had yet to get toll transponder, fuel card and the problems with loads being placed on me that were illegal. Some of the load problems stem from the fact we should have at least 6 drivers and we have two including myself to do these loads. Having these loads max out at 76000 don’t make it easier given a govern truck of 65 and a 400hp engine. Not a recipe for success. Given how desperate they are for drivers I was icreadibly surprised I never even got one response from my manager. I always made my appointment times and never had a issue with management. Until their promises and my patience finally met at a dead end road. It’s sad really having companies like Ryder who would rather suffer through without a driver then try to work things out or at least hear your side to learn. Maybe not all Ryder dedicated accounts are like this, maybe I just got on a bad one. Maybe there really isn’t a company willing to treat drivers as real employees not just steering wheel holders. Ryder claims you are The Captain of your ship. I believe they treat you like just another deck hand.

Wargames Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Trying to work things out would require them to face up to there own management shortcomings.

Not likely to happen.

QuietStorm, WongK, sevenmph and 6 others Thank this.
  4. jescott418

Aug 27, 2012
    Mt Morris,IL
    Well I did realize why they can’t find drivers. This is a company who doesn’t realize without drivers they don’t make money. Your right to communicate means to face up to their end of the problem.

5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    they make lots of money without drivers everyday

Grubby, Brettj3876 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Same story with their Canadian division up here. Friend of mine looked into a dedicated position with them. By all accounts the same issues you describe are present. He passed on the "opportunity".

7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I've come to the conclusion that a trucking company that is well managed and treats drivers as human beings is an extremely rare thing these days. I've never been a proponent of unions, but if ever an industry needed a national union, it's truck drivers.If they ever found a way to organize nationally, well, it would probably speed up the implementation of self driving trucks and most of them would be out of work.

Fold_Moiler, WongK, Badmon and 5 others Thank this.
  8. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN

I thought the industry used to be unionized?

Tug Toy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. jescott418

Aug 27, 2012
    Mt Morris,IL
    Yep back before deregulation much of trucking except for independents were union. Even companies like Schneider were union at one time. Sadly the deregulation created so much competition that unions couldn't compete and that resulted in what we have today.

10. jescott418

Aug 27, 2012
    Mt Morris,IL
    Yes renting and supplying equipment. But not with their specific accounts they supply labor and equipment to handle freight. Like most trucking companies who want dedicated accounts. They go in, under bid to get the account and the driver is the person who generally pays the price.

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    here, Ryder had a lock on the CVS account. for the longest time, it was 1000% Ryder..but they also always had openings for drivers. now CVS has other companies (as well as Ryder) handling the account..

Ryder goes thru drivers like one changes his underwear, provided one changes his underwear daily....

I NEVER recommend Ryder to anyone as far as driving jobs go.

TheyCallMeDave and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.