Said i'd never do this......

Discussion in 'Swift' started by DickJones, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DickJones

DickJones Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2010
    actually, they'll sign a contract saying if they rip a fender off, they're paying to replace it.....or if they scratch off paint, they're paying for it. If i damage something, i dont expect them to help foot the bill. They're under the understanding they are to drive the truck like it is THEIRS. Take care of it LIKE ITS THEIRS....help keep it clean LIKE ITS THEIRS.

i'm sure they wouldn't let me borrow their F-150 truck to help move into an apartment/house, scratch the paint or bend a fender and then NOT expect me to pay for it....just isnt going to happen.

my truck is my office....it isnt for a crash test dummy.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN

Make sure you record Swift "powers that be's" reaction to that little gem.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

IMO they are employed by Swift therefore the company is liable.

4. DickJones

Aug 16, 2010
    actually i already have. my DM told me 'hey, its your truck, you're the boss.'. I then asked my TM who was kind of 'on the fence', but did tell me the same thing you just told me. However, getting them to actually PAY for it...is a different story. Lets not forget, unless i go to a KW dealership nearby, replacing a fender or any other damage will take a good part of a week.....whos paying for THAT.......not swift.

thats why when i get a new student on the truck, i'm spending an hour watching them drive around the yard. if i dont feel comfortable with them driving in the yard, i sure as F am not going to feel comfortable with them on an interstate or narrow 2-lane blacktop.

they should already know how to drive. they should already know how to setup for an angle back. they should already know how to shift gears....should already know how to adjust the mirrors, etc.

this kind of dates me, but i'll pull out the old "egg on an orange cone" trick like they did in an episode of the brady bunch when marcia went to get her drivers license and they were practicing in the driveway.......MEMBA THAT????!!?!?!? :biggrin_255:

5. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
  6. cookie278

cookie278 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2009
    WA
    Couple of thoughts...one, it seems as if most new drivers can barely afford to buy their food for the first couple of weeks and pray they make enough to get caught up on the bills that got behind while they were in training. It seems to me, that telling them (and having them sign a contract) that they will pay for every scratch and dent might scare off most of your possible students.

Second thought, all these students that you spend time to go meet up with, to watch them drive around for a hour etc, that most likely will be scared off in the end, is going to cost you alot of down time.

Having said that, I wish you good luck and hope you will be a decent mentor, because lord knows there have been enough bad ones.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    If you guys that know everything about Mentoring and Mentoring as a L/O...you would see that in the Mentor's Addendum to your Line Haul Contract/Lease Contract, there is a clause that specifically states that if the student inflicts the damage, and can be proven with the on duty log...SWIFT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR REPAIRS!

All this talk without the actual knowledge and going on hearsay and over the fence gossip is pointless....get a copy of the addendum and see for yourself!

8. DickJones

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah....so is sitting in the shop for a week waiting for Swift to replace a bumper cause the student ripped it off backing into a dock and didnt pay attention to that fire hydrant.

there is more than one student waiting for a mentor, usually. So i spend 3 hrs test driving students around the yard (line 1) with an MT trailer, before finally getting one worth taking out of the terminal gate...that sure is a well spent 3 hrs. rather than getting 1500 mi away from their home, find out they cant back, read a map, plan their route, etc., then spending the better part of the next few days getting back to the terminal to kick them off the truck.

one thing i will NOT do, is kick a student off the truck at a truck stop...regardless how bad they might be. if they want off at a truck stop, they'll be signing another piece of paper saying that they want off there on their own accord, and state who and when they plan to be picked up along with that persons phone number.

i sure dont want a student to be driving my truck on the way back to the terminal, when we both know they're getting off the truck as soon as it stops there.

The Challenger and scottied67 Thank this.
  9. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

Yes.....Yes it is!

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    DickJones if I were you I would also place a dozen eggs on your dash while the student drives and tell him/her if any eggs fall in the crevice between the windshield and dash and breaks, there will be a smelly mess in a couple of days.

The Challenger and DickJones Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.