Scale on a dry van

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, May 24, 2020.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Does anyone have either the digital scales or the needle style on their dry van? I spent a lot of money on scaling last year not to mention some fines for overweight. The digital is only a $450 option and the needle $325. Why do I normally only see these on reefers?

Experience, insight, or opinion appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zues

Zues Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2020
    If you do use analog unless you like electronic gremlins :). By the way highly recommended no need for scales once you learn pressures:)

GYPSY65, Dave_in_AZ and beastr123 Thank this.
  4. GraniteRiver

GraniteRiver Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2018
    I have a needle scale on my van. Its been helpful, but if its close to a max load I'll still scale it. It helps me in those 30-40k loads to make sure the axle weights are legal without having to scale.

86scotty and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    My ELD offers one. It's Blue Ink Tech and it's been good all around. One time purchase, no subscription. Anyway, the extra features like scale are extra I'm pretty sure, not sure if it's a monthly charge. I think all it does is read your PSI on your rears and computes the approximate weight. MIght want to ask your ELD people if they offer it.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I am setting my trailer and my truck up with liquid filled pressure gauges.

If you are handy and you plumb them in yourself it won't cost a lot of money.

Last Call and Dale thompson Thank this.
  7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Had a guy show me this a few weeks ago. It's based through an APP on your phone. According to him it's pretty spot on. Might be something worth looking into. Looks you have the purchase the sensors and the APP is free.

https://www.appweigh.com/

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  8. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
  9. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    You don't need a scale on the trailer. Just on the tractor, learn what the max you can scale on the drives and subtract from your total load weight, I do it all the time, then if it is really really close use a cat scale for insurance.

10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I've used the needle type on a dry van and currently use a digital on my reefer. About the only thing I like about the digital is that I can read it from inside the cab, otherwise both worked great.

Dave_in_AZ and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

My tanker job is the first truck I had with the built-in weight gauge. My needle type scale shows weight in 5,000 lbs increments so it's not very useful. And you can shift your load in liquid tanker except by braking or steering.

Dave_in_AZ and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.