Schneider Chat Room version 2.0

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by mickeyrat, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Dodgerfan82

Dodgerfan82 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Temecula, Ca.
    not expecting 1000 a week right away of course.. just need to find the fastest way to get there

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Silverking

Silverking Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Edgewater, FL
    if your making 800 now stay with it. If your happy being home with your family, stay where your at. If your want some adventure, lots of alone time, see the country, travel ect... then switch to trucking. don't make the switch for the potential of a few hundred bucks.

Dodgerfan82 and mickimause Thank this.
  4. Dodgerfan82

Apr 9, 2013
    Temecula, Ca.
    Thats a #### good point SilverKing, and honestly the road does call to me.. as odd as it feels saying that.. even when I do relatively short out of the area tows say 100 maybe 200 miles something about the road does sing to me. I love driving and being out there.. the sense of freedom even if you are chained to a truck that is stuck to the interstate. Something about it is just calling me... On the other hand, I will miss the hell out of my family, and I am pretty sure it would be a temporary thing, just 2 or 3 years to get some good experience in. What is really calling me is all of the local or semi local trucking jobs I see all day every day on Indeed, Craigslist, or hear about from truckers I meet.. I have yet to meet the fuel tanker driver or Conway, or some of the food service drivers, Costco, Fedex, various flatbed opportunities, or local bulk hazmat guys who tell me they make anything less then the 55-65k a year type money.. 55 a year is a substantial amount more then what I am making as a light duty tow truck driver. They also work they're #### ##### off.. but that should be expected.. its work. lol. I do have the option to become a heavy duty tow truck driver, but honestly i have been doing this for ten years now and there is a few problems with it.. first pay and benefits it tow suck now.. I have gone as far as I can in light duty, Its dangerous.. honestly I dont even want to tell you how many times I have been within inches of death.. and its draining knowing that you will not go any further in a career. I know im rambling now, so I will get to the point.. i think there is more money to be had later in a career in trucking.. where ever it may take me there are more options to make more money once you have your CDL and some experience. I was just thinking Schnieder might be a good place to start.

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    You could do regional to test the water. Don't expect 1000/week your first few months.

I made more money doing local work than what I'm doing now. But I rather do what I like to do than sweat and break my back doing local work. Werid thing is, since my truck is my home, I spend more time in here, so my expenses is cut like cable, gasoline for commuting to work, rent, etc etc do even though I make less, I'm actually gaining more

Dodgerfan82 Thanks this.
  6. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    The road is calling you but the family will be missing you and you will hear those calls louder. For new drivers who just get into driving with a family it is the hardest thing to do is leave after 2 days home with the wife and kids crying. Truckers have a very High Divorce rate because the wife gets tired of being 2nd to the road. 1000 after taxes will be tough in the 1st year. If you can live on the 800 you are making now try and move up in the tow company or keep looking for a local company like LTL that will help you get started. The life of a trucker is a Lifestyle not just a job. Good luck with your decision but my advice is to stay at home.

7. Dodgerfan82

Apr 9, 2013
    Temecula, Ca.
    Kids will miss me, wife will be happy to get rid of me.. I will miss them both. Local is where its at for me but all the jobs i am finding LTL, Tankers, Specialized or Heavy Flatbed.. all want a couple years of experience OTR... And no 800 a week is not cutting it.. not in California. Just surviving, not living..retirement account is pathetic.. and benefits at tow companies is a joke.. What I want are those 65k per year local jobs.. I don't mind working hard, and I don't mind doing what I have to to get the experience needed to land the decent jobs. OTR is not what I want to do for a career, but unless you guys know something I don't its the only way to get the ball rolling for a good career with a local company. And I might be kind of fun to see the country.. even if it is just its highways.. for a bit.

8. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Problem is by time you get the experience by doing otr your home life will be put to the test. Look for a union or small company that's local otr but regular home time. 1000 a week after taxes is roughly 1350 before and a new driver won't make that in the 1st year.

9. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Not sur ed on your take home minimum but for better reliable home time and checks look at dedicated positions. Not sure what we have out there. Maybe port and dray. Need to look for positions with the extra pay for extra duties. Thats what raises your weekly take. Besides imo money , needed though it is, comes second to better quality home life.

10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    IC is Independent Contractor. Lease or owner operator. Whole other animal.

11. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Most LTL companies could care less if you have OTR experience.some will even train new drivers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.