Schneider driving training only 7 days, really??

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by milby, Aug 28, 2016.

1. milby

milby Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Higginsville, MO
    Am I understanding this correctly. After you go through a trucking school and get your CDL and are then hired by Schneider, you go through a three week training out of which only 7-10 days out on the road with a trainer? Most companies you are out with a trainer 3-5 weeks! is only 7 days enough training?

The thought of 5 weeks with a trainer does not appeal to me but 7 days doesn't seem like enough time.

JC1971 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Difference is in those other companies "training" is you're run as a team for those extra weeks for cheap labor

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Thull, Western flyer, Opus and 5 others Thank this.
  4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    well its an either you got it or you dont situation. get the basics down and go. learn daily from there. it requires the confidence in your barely tested skills to get out and do it.

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Remember this isn't school anymore, it's a job. They teach you the basic like how to work qualcomm and let you be. But schneider will give you extra days and help if you ask for it no problem.

ethos, AM14, Friday and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    SNI is all about safety and they do 3 weeks of it (with the 1 week with trainer). I hear they are pretty strict about it too so if they think you're not ready they will take the extra time I'd imagine. I'm in the same situation. I don't want to team train at all. I think training in this occupation needs to change to avoid that but safety is the goal so the more time the better.

91B20H8 and Waggledaddy Thank this.
  7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Schneider doesn't allow trainers to team with a student. Trainer must be sitting on the passenger seat while the student drives. We have former trainers here (myself included) and current ones on this forum.

DAX_, lfzebra, Friday and 4 others Thank this.
  8. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    With Schneider bulk, my road training was 5 days with a local driver, split with another trainee in a sleeper truck. So that was 2.5 days driving for me.

Never parked in a truck stop, never fueled, never went thru a scale.

Picked up my truck in Gary, IN ,, first solo right into the frying pan,, rush hour traffic on I-80 Gary, IN with 45k in the hole and off to Pittsburgh.

You'll be fine! :D

truadvocate, Thull, iono12345 and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    7 -10 days is plenty of time with a trainer. Anyone needing more time than that probably rode the short bus to high school.
    TransAm is 11 days I think and the trucks are much nicer; set up with driver comfort in mind.
    Remember, it's driving trucks; not being the lead astronaut on a Mars mission.

Driver320, Big Don, Opus and 9 others Thank this.
  10. Code Red NV

Code Red NV Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I went through Schneider training, I didn't think it was enough before I went, and I still sort of don't. But, the thing is, with me at least, if I waited until I was "ready", then I don't think I would have ever gotten onto the roads.

I was extremely lucky in that my trainer was great, really knowledgeable, never distracted or not paying attention, and totally made me do pretty much everything.

So, yes, it's sort of a "throw you into the deep end so you'll learn to swim" teaching technique, but it works for the most part.

11. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    that was what I originally signed up for, but alas, I'm afraid of Martians

88 Alpha, Waggledaddy and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.