Schneider Tanker Owner Operator.

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Wallacecardoso, May 11, 2018.

1. Wallacecardoso

Wallacecardoso Bobtail Member

May 11, 2018
    I'm looking for more info about Schneider tanker O.O. Is it a good Choice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dlarson

dlarson Bobtail Member

May 12, 2018
    I drove for Schneider for 2 years dedicated to Home Depot. I was pulling a 53ft dry van, so I don't know about the tanker division. But, I can tell you that i thought Schneider was a great company. The pay was good and the benefits were excellent. I had to quit due to a health problem.

4. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I dont know anything about it. Ive met a few of their guys at plants and none of them were happy. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of them. not like it is with the dry van section. From what I understand, they finally went to the choice program with the bulk side, But I honestly haven't heard anybody talk about it. Not even on here.

5. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    i've heard some stories about LP programs that are legitimate traps designed to lure you in and get you stuck, where you are dispatched by the people that you pay the truck note for, but they keep telling you that you are in charge. I don't know about van side other than what I've read on here, but neither Schneider's van LP program or bulk LP program are designed to trap you and get you stuck. They are designed to make Schneider National lots and lots of money. They compensate you for your assistance in that endeavor. The programs are structured for the LP operators success. They are also structured so as to be as simple, and as easy, and as painless as possible. You pick a load off the board, you do the load, you send in the paperwork. This structure attracts the applicable people. After being a company driver for a year and a half, the only question I had about the program was "will there be enough freight to pay the bills". The answer the that question is yes.

One thing about Schneider though, is that they provide a lot of hand-holding, in the form of payroll processing, fuel card, maintenance, permits, registration, insurance, plates, IFTA, HUT, HVUT, operating facility accessibility, secure parking, showers, cafeteria, guidance, assistance, moral support, etc etc, that you won't necessarily see a fee come out of your settlement for. But because of that, your Schneider settlement will be a lot less than a settlement where you're leased somewhere else. This refers specifically to the average rate per mile of the loads on the board, in general, compared to freelance market rates. To the tune of almost one half the going rate, from what I gather. But being leased on to somewhere else, where you have to be on the phone with them 10 times a day, you have to deal with their dispatch section, you have to jump through hoops to get basic business turned into some kind of benevolent personal favor, etc etc etc, will have it's own expenses, where you'll get to keep more of the pay, but you will pay for it in blood pressure, stress, frustration, and less stability. I'd personally pay an arm and a leg for the lack of BS (or take a large pay cut to side-step BS). So I'll take the freebies for the decreased financial opulence. I'm not trying to get rich, I just want to work, and not have to worry about having to tap dance fo da massa.

6. MilkyJay

MilkyJay Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Everywhere you want to be
    I don't know to much about the tanker side either but when i was leased onto the van side, i saw very many tanker guys pulling vans to keep the money coming. If that means much...

7. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    If you have your own truck, there are a lot better outfits out there them Schneider. They get business because they're cheap, not on service. I certainly like the option of picking my own freight, but not at the discounted rates. If you're looking to do a LP, well that's another story that I can't speak to. I'm not a fan a LP deals. You can always ask the recruiter to see what loads are available. What figure out the rates from there.

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  8. Exit310

Exit310 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    cullman,alabama
    I would like some info on the Dedicated Home Depot account located in Bessemer,Al. What is the home time,cpm or you back for the weekends?

9. Jlintner

Jlintner Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I run tankers with Schneider as an OO. The pay is not good. I came here bc I could book my own loads, no hassle. Well the other side of that is that, of all the choices you have, only one or two will pay for fuel, truck and driver. Also very few loads go by your house so you learn to game the system with tank moves to get home which always costs you dearly. Basically, the recruiter and ads lack candor (no surprise there right). There are nice people there to help but as with any big company the wheels turn slow; get ready to be waiting for a callback. I’m not in control like I thought I would be with the load board. So ... I’m looking for a new deal. Any good tanker OO companies out there? I’m in talks with Fort Transfer which seems like a solid prospect.

10. plynnjr92

plynnjr92 Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Inland Empire, CA
    Agreed. I'm a new lessee who started last month. While Schneider does take that 35% and the payment on my 2020 Cascadia is pretty large from SFI, the system is easy! Pick a load, deliver it, scan paperwork. Lather, rinse, repeat. Hardest thing is trying to get home while still making money; I live in Salt Lake City and freight West of the Rockies isn't worth jack. Plus there's very few loads crossing the Rockies so since I'm currently in Massachusetts, I'm gonna take a big revenue hit if I wanna come home.

11. Sandwich

Sandwich Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2020
    What does Schneider van freight look like in and around the New Orleans area? There's a tanker terminal close to my house, but from what I've seen here it's not good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.