School Bus/Dump Truck Collision-I-80 Near Mount Olive,New Jersey

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, May 17, 2018.

1. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    tinytim, rabbiporkchop and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    that's what a few of us figured. i hope now that they slam the book on that driver.

Of the three buses, one missed the exit, video shows.

i wanna personally SEE that video....

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    They do now. There’s no federal requirement for seat belts for school buses but 6 states (including New Jersey) mandate them. In New Jersey all vehicles manufactured after October 1992 must be equipped with lap type seat belts or other child restraint systems. All school buses that were grandfathered under N.J.’s law have been out of service since September 2013.
    School Buses Are Typically Much Safer Than Cars

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yeah but what about how many violations the dump truck party had the past 10 years?! That's what inquiring minds want to know. The fact the bus driver was a moron is irrelevant.

:biggrin_25523:

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Not hiring absolute idiots also goes a long way to protecting lives. I guess they figured since they have seat belts, they can do away with any testing, training, and hiring standards of bus drivers.

7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Thank you, I stand corrected. I have not been involved with the pupil transport industry since 1996 and should have checked for changes in the rules before posting. I live less than 10 miles from NJ, was actually born there (shh don't tell anyone) and assumed it hadn't changed. I should have known about seatbelts since the article says they have been mandated since 92. I remember all the debate back then, and the pushback in NY when they mandated them, somehow NJ escaped my mind.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    oh, i'm sure they will crawl up into his butt. but i hope all is good for him, as he will be in a world of hurt knowing he did still have a crash with kids involved.

he's gonna live with that for life. i wish him all the best.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I get that. But I've reached a point where I no longer have any tolerance for complete idiots or people who are capable of allowing such critical lapses in judgment or common sense.

I used to just SMH at these mental defects, now I want to terminate their existence.

tinytim and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    The saddest part of all, where this accident happened the exits are fairly close together. All the bus driver had to do was continue on 6 more miles to exit 19 to make a legal u-turn. So for less than 20 minutes of delay they killed two and injured 44 others (43 passengers and the dump truck driver).

Also troublesome is the fact that the dump truck company has a questionable safety record, and although they most likely are not at fault for any part of this incident, the media, DOT and lawyers for the bus passengers will eat them alive. Having been involved with vehicle negligence cases before I can see this putting the trucking company out of business and the owner losing everything he has worked for, simply because the lawyers will go for blood. The bus driver was a school district employee, yes they should face prison if the reports of a u-turn are accurate and may lose everything but the school district will most likely skate with little to no real damages. It is hard to sue government agencies in most states and unless it can be proven their hiring and training standards were deficient they will get a slap on the wrist.

x1Heavy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    What's really needed is fully autonomous school buses. That will solve every conceivable problem and these incidents will become a thing of the past.

:biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.