Seat belt warning

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Edzuwoy, May 18, 2018.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    It doesn't matter if you're going 55 or 155? I think you're the one who doesn't understand newtons laws but whatever. My mother had a cousin got in an accident they thought he was fine and were concentrating on his girlfriend who had a few scratches and he fell over dead at the scene, turns out
    Getting thrown against the seatbelt ripped his aorta, I believe it was, off his heart, he would've been fine if he hadn't had his seatbelt on like his girlfriend.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    So what you are saying is you drive your truck like a nascar driver? I’m disappointed. That’s not cool to be unsafe.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    You missed the point entirely. When your car is travelling at speed, so is your body. When the vehicle's trajectory is affected by an outside influence, your body is NOT...unless and until something inside the car affects your trajectory. If that is a seat belt, you remain at the controls. If it is a door, windshield, etc...then you're just along for the ride until the vehicle eventually comes to a stop. The ONLY difference between 55 and 155 is the amount of energy involved in the crash.

As for your mother's cousin, I could post pics of a wreck I rolled up on. 55 mph 2-lane highway. Car heading downhill saw a deer and slammed on the brakes. Semi behind the car stood on the brakes to avoid the car, and the trailer pushed the drives across the yellow line into oncoming traffic as the truck jackknifed. Oncoming car hit the rear drive axle and spun off down an embankment. 2 people in the car...driver was belted in and was fine. Passenger was not, and went for a ride in an ambulance. His head broke the windshield. Here's some of the pics...
    IMG_00000594.jpg IMG_00000583.jpg IMG_00000589.jpg IMG_00000604.jpg IMG_00000619.jpg

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

Rubbin' one out is racin'!

6. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Wow no seat belt and he only got an ambulance ride? I had a seat belt on and got an ambulance and a helicopter ride, if we'd have been out of cell range I probably would've bled out right there anyway. Seat belts don't do as much as you've been led to believe.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    There is the very real danger when wearing a seat belt and coming to an abrupt stop that your heart will crash against your rib cage, so that would be bad.

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    You missed the part about the driver walking away without so much as a scratch. I don't know the total extent of the passenger's injuries, other than his head broke the windshield and I helped the EMT's carry the stretcher up the hill back to their ambulance. I wasn't involved in the wreck, only one of the 1st to arrive at the scene. I took a LOT of pictures, because the truck driver was visibly shaken, unsure if he'd just killed someone, so I took the pics for him and sent them to his company. Had that passenger been strapped in, he too might have walked away unscathed. If you hadn't been strapped in, you might've been killed. We can sit here and play the "what if" game all day, and we'll never really know either way...too many variables. What IS known, though, is that your chances of maintaining control over your vehicle and/or regaining control over your vehicle are significantly greater if your butt is held securely in the seat at the controls...because if you aren't at the controls, you have ZERO chance at recovering control over the vehicle. THAT is a matter of public safety, because if you aren't at the controls, your vehicle is going to hit anything and everything in its path until something stops it, and there's not a #### thing you can do from the floor or the passenger side to minimize the damage YOUR out of control vehicle causes before it finally stops.

People die every day in car wrecks. Some wore their seat belts. Some didn't. Hell, even Dale Sr. was strapped into his car when he wrecked at Daytona...but guys crash a hell of a lot harder and a hell of a lot more dramatically and walk away from it, too. Carl Edwards even climbed out of his car and ran across the finish line at Talladega after a wild ride coming out of the final turn of the race. When it's your time, it's your time. And if not, you get to live another day.

I really couldn't care less about your personal choices. We're probably even on the same page regarding helmet laws, because by the time they are doing their job, you've already parted company with the motorcycle...and the ONLY person they will do anything for at that point is the person who made the choice to wear it. Seat belts are different, at least for the driver. They PREVENT you from leaving your position at the controls of the vehicle. As far as anyone else in the vehicle, personal choice (unless I'm driving...want to ride with me, you strap in because I'M not getting a ticket for your decision)...but the driver needs to be securely seated and strapped in at the controls.

9. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    I've heard of people getting their necks snapped while wearing a helmet but they do save your face so that's something I guess, i dont honestly believe 99% of people driving any vehicle will have enough control over their vehicle after crashing for it to matter if they get hit/ hit something hard enough to be dislodged from their seat, seat belt or not.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Doesn't take much of an impact. Like I said, start sliding on ice and the tires hit dry pavement and quickly slow the car's velocity, and you go from steering into the skid to a passenger in your own car in the blink of an eye. Car t-bones you as you're passing through an intersection, and it's the difference between being able to apply the brakes and steer your vehicle just being along for the ride until something else stops it...doesn't even have to be a hard impact, just enough to abruptly change the direction the car is travelling.

And your faith in your fellow travellers is rather low. I've witnessed some tremendous recoveries made by some, and some ridiculous fails by others. Incompetence is nowhere near 99%, though.

11. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    You've seen people get Tboned at 55 and maintain control? I've spun around on ice before, hell I put more miles on my pickup sideways than going somewhere in winter if you ask my dad, and never ended up close to out of my seat. You go ahead and wear your seatbelt, go ahead and make it a finable offence for me to not wear one just don't have it affect driving records, it does not affect your driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.