Series 60 Detroit DDEC3

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by RUSTBOXF700, Mar 23, 2023.

1. RUSTBOXF700

RUSTBOXF700 Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2023
    I am having an issue with this truck, when the truck is idling it runs fine, but when you release the park brake it runs erratic and rough? And if you drive it, it will intermittently run fine. The truck is a KW T800. Any recommendations on were to start?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Flash codes then a scan tool.

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. DDguy

DDguy Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Ont. Canada
    When did this problem start ? or is there any more info to point us in the right direction ?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. RUSTBOXF700

Mar 23, 2023
    It started a little bit after the injectors were done and the overhead was adjusted.

6. DDguy

DDguy Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Ont. Canada
    You may have a fuel pressure issue Maybe injector Orings or even dirt got into the fuel Galley ?

7. RUSTBOXF700

Mar 23, 2023
    Only got blink codes so far, waiting on new scan tool to arrive. The stop engine light blinks 2 then 5. All others are inactive on the check engine light links.

DDguy and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. RUSTBOXF700

Mar 23, 2023
    Would the fuel pressure issue cause the issue when the park brakes are released? It will idle and run fine until you push the release button in for the park brakes and then it will run poorly and missfire, set the parking brakes and the engine will immediately run fine again? I have never seen this condition before but I also have only worked on 2 other detroits before this one and they were newer

9. DDguy

DDguy Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Ont. Canada
    Okay this Means i need to look at your program then

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My yellow CEL doesn’t work either. Without the stored codes, it’s hard to tell. I was able to catch a problem while it was happening, and got the active codes. Actually the code was intermittently active, for low coolant. I had to determine if it was the sensor, or the harness. Got lucky and caught it while active. Maybe try to get the codes while it’s running rough. If there’s any active codes, they should flash. I’m sure you know that code 25 means no codes.

DDguy and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    The only thing I can think of is the cruise control circuit - clutch switch and brake switch need to be off for cruise to work, and I would guess the sensor on the park brake circuit ties into it too - and there's been a splicing of wires or rubbing of wires that feed to the ECM that's messing it up.

Is it your truck? Has there been any wiring work done? Inspect the harness pretty closely, or maybe try a test ECM if you can source one.

Not a mechanic, but that's all that comes to mind.

Oxbow, JoeyJunk, DDguy and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.