Shaffer Experiment

Discussion in 'Shaffer' started by xlsdraw, Dec 22, 2014.

1. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Average Length of haul with both so far has been about the same. Upper 600s. I chose Shaffer due to it taking less miles to make equal or near equal money. If my miles increase with Shaffer or would have went down with Crete, Shaffer becomes the better option. I would like to see my Average load length increase but I came prepared to run/work hard.

RoadCall and paul_4lp Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    I should add that the #s I ran at Crete were allegedly above average based on many conversations with other Crete drivers so I viewed the possibility of mileage going down with Crete as a good possibility. Unfortunately in this industry we have limited control of our production. Shaffer seems the safer option to do 60k.

4. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Yeah but at Shaffer you have a lot more live unloads and appointments vs open window drop and hook loads.
    Plus you aren't paid for dealing with trailer wash outs.

But now you've got detention pay that's supposedly "guaranteed", something I didn't have when I was there.
    So that makes Shaffer more appealing.

But lumpers and appointment times for live unloads vs drop and hooks makes for a totally different lifestyle .
    I remember having to plan my whole day, sleep schedule, hours and etc according to that live unload which wasn't fun vs just getting there whenever for a drop.

Not trying to Hijack your thread lol just adding because I did work there.

I've said many times and this threads shows you CAN get miles at Shaffer.
    People always say "oh so and so per mile but do you get the miles"! Yes you get the miles at Shaffer.

Practical mile, $30 stop pay, .48 CPM to start, extra pay for runs under 200 miles, detention pay after 2 hours.. etc etc
    Plus you get the miles

What other OTR company do you get all that?
    NONE! no other OTR company is even close pay wise in my opinion.

There's still many companies out there paying freaking .32-.35 CPM when you have experience.
    Like say Henderson trucking, that's a reefer outfit and if you have 4 years experience you a whopping .35 CPM.
    Think that's bad.. try TransAm, Stevens, CR England and etc which is even worse.
    I don't understand why drivers work for such low paying companies.

There's trainers working at Shaffer getting .50 CPM+ and getting all the miles to the truck plus extra paying for training.
    You can make boat loads of money training over there.

5. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I worked at Crete several years. I did plenty of crazy appointments and dealing with lumpers the last few years. So it's not only reefers. But I rarely had to get a washout.

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  6. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    yeah rarely do you need washouts for a DRY Van lol

7. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    But you do every now and then . Like after hauling bales of crushed beer cans. Some shippers are very picky about any bad smell in a trailer

8. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    I never heard of, did or saw of a van getting a wash out before.
    Guess anything is possible though.

9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I had 3 van's washed out in my 10 years there. It is rare, but it happens. Usually after hauling some sort of powdered talc, and we use to haul Black Cow (bagged manure) or mulch every once in a while. The food shippers frowned on the tracks of cow poop.

10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    What I hated was taking the load locks off a -20 load during a rain storm...you either leave your gloves frozen on the load locks (or the skin off your fingers if you didn't bring your gloves).

11. RoadCall

RoadCall Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2012
    No way does dry van even come close to the amount of F'ed up appointment times on reefer. It's the norm with reefer, not so much with vans.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.