Shaffer makes the hit list

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Rascally Road Warrior, Feb 2, 2008.

1. pawpaw

pawpaw Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Milan, NM
    Actually that is information put out by some people in the know and we proved it in our bus fleet so before you make judgements you ought to check things out. Most of your crap on here is "shoot from the hip" information. You just want to spout garbage when you have no interest (self-proclaimed) to have anything to do with the trucking industry, other than to discourage everyone from driving. So let's say you succeed getting everyone to quit driving, how you going to get your Cheerios?

If you are no longer interested in trucking then why not get off of the trucking websites. Oh that's right, you have a degree and so you know everything. You are smarter than everyone else and so it is your duty to come here and spread your knowledge and wisdom to the world? Well, the world sure needs your fertilizer. LOL. There are others on here with degrees, myself included. And whether they got the degree by paying for it out of their pocket or with help and are now paying it back makes no difference. You just think you are better than everyone. I don't know how anyone could stand to be around you in person since you are so full of yourself. Have a nice day with your self-earned degree and all your wisdom. Maybe you should do like Lucy and open a booth to spread all your "wisdom".

Highballin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    I don't like Cheerios. I weaned myself of garbage I supposedly 'need' years ago.

I've already opened Lucy's booth here. Read up on what I've posted for all to see. Go ahead. Make some effort and read, read, read.

You have a degree yet you believe what you believe about governed trucks' fueling rates? I shake my head.

4. moonshadow

moonshadow Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Denver

Wow I didn't know they had a techinical college degree program for challenged learners....congratulations TIP...you deserve the best!

pawpaw Thanks this.
  5. sweetpea

sweetpea Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    Glade Hill,VA
    My husband worked for Shaffer for 5 years. The first couple of years they were great. I was pregnant when he got the job. When I went into labor they had him moved to the front of the line and got him home before I went to the hospital. But as time went along they got pretty bad with low miles and no home time. But the last straw was when I had to call him and tell him his mother had died. He was in Florida and we needed to get him back to Virginia. They told him he had to deliver the load and they would get him home when they found a load coming to Virginia.

I called them and told them to send him home or they could pick up the truck at the nearest airport. We had arranged for him to fly home. They sent him home empty. He was mad that I had to call. After the funeral he went back to work. A couple of weeks later someone elses mother died, they put it on the quailcom, and flew that driver home, sent flowers, gave him a check to help with expenses while he was off. My husband called I met him in Greensboro and we emptied the truck. Its an ##### kissing company.

6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    It all depends on who in corporate gets the message as to how it's handled. I had my grandma die while I was in Marietta, and I live 300 mi away. It was on the weekend, and that shift doesn't have authorization to scratch their own butt. After arguing with them and getting treated like I was lying, I got it solved after a hassle. But once I got back from the funeral, I started at the terminal manager and went up from there to get an explanation as to why they couldn't get me home for a death of a close relative. I could see it if it were my second cousin on my wifes side twice removed... but a grandma? I was assured that the guilty party would be dealt with. But I never received an apology for the whole thing, or flowers, or a card of condolence...nothing. But they don't hesitate to send me birthday cards, and Christmas cards. I think they have their priorities screwed up somewhere. They need to remember GOOD DRIVERS = a firm foundation to success. Without good dedicated drivers any trucking company, no matter how well the management is trained and how successful they were in the past, will fail.

7. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City
    I drive for Crete, but I heard (RUMOR ROOM) that Shaffer solo's wont be able to drive on the west coast..?? Only team drivers can get loads to the west... I have no idea if this is true, I heard it from a shaffer driver who was letting steam out at the Columbus terminal. DRIVE SAFE

8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    It's been going around the rumor mill that we are all going to 'regional' lanes. They are trying to work out the system so that you run around the zone close to home. And you only go outside your zone to move a load to t'call in the next zone. They can't plan now, I wonder how much of a disaster that will be, and how many good customers we will lose over service failures because they 'missed' a load.

9. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City

Ya, I heard that also. I live on the West coast, and freight sucks over here right now... It hasnt hit on the east side yet (or not as bad). Oh well, we'll see what happens I guess. I know Crete has a hard time getting drivers home on time so maybe it will be easier if they keep them closer to home. DRIVE SAFE

10. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Agree with "notarps4me". Your employer was "Tried once and found wanting" - No second chances due them. At least you have the self satisfaction of being proven correct in your statements. Good luck with a possible change.

11. Rascally Road Warrior

Rascally Road Warrior Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Titusville, FL
    One of the problems with leaving one company and going with another is simply, you don’t know what you’re getting into. If you think things are bad now, then wait till you drive for company “X”. It’s not always greener on the other side of the hill. Keep in mind that going with another company you have to do orientation from anywhere of $300 to $400 a week, then go through their driver training for a week or two with some crappy trainer who is in it for the money only, and who knows what other little deceitful surprises await you down the road.

I try very hard in keeping a healthy attitude while doing my job but sometimes things get out of hand. One driver told me that there is really nothing hard about driving truck, it’s just very aggravating having to deal with others (shippers, traffic, drivers parking at the fuel pumps while shopping, etc…).

This isn’t the only issue I’ve had with Shaffer. A little over a year ago (before the drive shaft issue) I was pulled over in Spartanburg, SC. According to the ‘Off Duty Officer’ who actually pulled me over, I was driving reckless. When I got out of the truck, this officer told me that he received several calls from 911 that a truck with my description was cutting in and out of traffic. I made the mistake by telling the officer that he couldn’t have gotten any calls because what he was claiming was simply not true which only aggravated the situation even mores. Between the off duty officer and the arresting officer who didn’t care what I had to say, I was arrested and thrown in jail for the weekend. I was not allowed to get my wallet or cell phone out of the truck and in fact… the off duty officer even tried to say that I was smoking marijuana but that issue was never pursued.

After hiring a lawyer and getting everything dismissed, I learned that what actually happened was that the off duty officer wasn’t paying much attention to his driving that day and almost ran into the back of me when I put on the brakes to let oncoming traffic merge suddenly into the middle lane from the on ramp. When my lawyer tried to get all the evidence together in preparation for trial, there were no phone calls (as I expected), no witnesses obviously, and no police report was ever submitted. I was later told that I could have filed a complaint with the police department for falsely making an arrest but instead, I just wanted to put this fiasco behind me and move on. I did get my money back for the ticket and ¾ of my lawyer fees back.

OK, so what does this have to do with Shaffer? The day of my arrest (Saturday around 10:am), I was actually on my way home for some home time where my wife was expecting me to arrive that evening. The terminal manager in Spartanburg picked up my truck and took it back to the terminal. At that time the off duty officer admitted to the terminal manager that he was following too close and when he almost ran underneath me it somehow offended him. Whatever… so the terminal manager takes the truck back to the terminal and parks it, gets the load re-powered and throws the keys on his desk and closes shop for the weekend. Apparently, the terminal manager had time to contact or at least alert others regarding my arrest but didn’t do it, he seemed more anxious about getting home for the weekend. I tried to contact my wife along with other people but when I tried using my one phone call, it would not allow me to put a call through to a cell phone user so I used up all my calls trying to get through to everyone I know who only uses cell phones. I couldn’t place bail because I didn’t have my wallet and the courts didn’t take credit cards anyway.

By evening my wife tried calling my cell phone but it kept going to voice mail. She had a feeling that something wasn’t quite right so she called dispatch who insisted that everything is fine because they had located the truck at the Spartanburg terminal and there was nothing to worry about even though the load I was under had been re-powered. After my wife’s persistence, dispatch sent a message to my truck’s QUALCOMM and after no reply, asked one of the shops personnel to open the truck to see if I was lying in there either unconscious or perhaps worse. After about an hour working with Shaffer, my wife learned that this company hadn’t a clue to where I was or what had happened to me and apparently was not about to follow up on my whereabouts.

My wife learned of my situation through the help of 911 who suggested that she call the local court house which is something neither one of us would have ever thought to do - call the local jail. My wife then drove down from PA and got me out of lockup. You can imagine the very thoughts that were going through my wife’s head wondering if I was dead or alive and me sitting in jail wondering if anyone would ever think to look for me there, as this is the last place anyone would ever think of looking for me as I am not the type of person that would ever prompt such a situation for any reason.

So after I get some rest and get back into my truck from my home time, my home terminal (Deland) simply asked for the facts. Nothing else was mentioned as far as how I may have dropped off the radar while the company didn’t have any answers for my wife. They simply stated to “get a lawyer if you want to and let us know the outcome”. I have learned that the terminal manager in Deland has a heart of granite, and the attention span of a two year old.

I guess the other reason for not leaving Shaffer and going back to a company that could care even lesser for their drivers is that I don’t plan on driving truck too much longer (hopefully). My wife and I are working on other avenues in hopes to be financially independent from the likes of companies who only treat their employees like a pack mule. Therefore, why get into anything else right now… again, I try to keep a positive attitude (not necessarily about Shaffer) in my work ethics and look forward into joining forces with my wife and her journeys down the road. Meanwhile, I try to let as much as I can roll off my shoulders as possible while working for this company which is becoming or has become just another trucking company like so many others out there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.