Should I pay for my school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by StankinJankin, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    BUT....BUT....BUT..... You'll be an Indentured Servant and forced into dungeons and force fed gruel for a year. You will be whipped daily and paid peanuts! Don't you ever read the advice given on this forum?? :rolleyes:

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Lol all the time....but those whippings will toughen up that back side

TxFLdino57 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a post from a Florida driver about Leonard's Express
    @xlsdraw
    Update time. Here's loads 11 through 17:

11) Wilsonville, OR to Clackamas, OR to Auburndale, FL/home to Boca Raton, FL. (3,276 miles).

12) Boca Raton, FL to Auburndale, FL/reset at home to Lake Wales, FL to Hopkins, MN. (1,831 miles).

13) Hopkins, MN to Gaylord, MN to Woodburn, OR. (1,820 miles).

14) Woodburn, OR to Scio, OR to Woodburn, OR to Caldwell, ID/shop to Metairie, LA. (2,627 miles).

15) Metairie, LA to Geismar, LA to Inver Grove Heights, MN. (1,245 miles).

16) Inver Grove Heights, MN to Eau Claire, WI/shop to Gaylord, MN to Auburndale, FL/home to Ocoee,FL to Auburndale, FL/home. (1,888 miles).

Home 6 days for Thanksgiving.

17) Auburndale, FL to Jacksonville, FL to Champlin, MN. (1,722 miles).

14,409 miles for that 7 trip block. Average trip length 2,058 miles.

Brings my overall average for my first 17 trips to 1,809 miles average.

I did find out that detention starts at 2 hrs past appointment time and is @ $16 per hour.

Also, for my $2,000 sign on bonus. Got first $500 after my first load. Got second $500 after 30 days. Got third $500 after 60 days. I assume that the fourth $500 will be after 90 days.

And orientation pay was $400.

When I'm empty in the morning in Champlin, MN, I head to Le Sueur, MN to pickup headed back to Woodburn, OR.

Speed_Drums and Goldenfan Thank this.
  5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Don’t pay out of pocket. There are plenty of grants out there. But DO NOT go to a company paid school. You will be beholden to them for a year or so if you do.

And fact is you likely won’t last six months. Most don’t last that long. The last thing you want is to be out of pocket $3k - $5k, or have a loan hanging over your head for something you’re not even using anymore.

Savor the Flavor Thanks this.
  6. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    I did pay out of pocket for mine back in October. In my case though, trucking is a 2nd career, so I was already employed and made too much to qualify for the state grants. However, I highly valued not having an auto-only restriction and not being in a contract, so paying myself was the only option. If you have the means, especially if you qualify for the grants, it will give you more flexibility and options after school.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.