Should I pay the $500 to learn manual at school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Flankenfurter, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Learn how to drive manual. It's definitely a great skill to have. Never limit yourself in life and learn everything you can.

I concur. Not sure why he would advise someone not to learn said skill?? That's a mushroom farmer thing to do to someone new. Reminds me of those ppl at that truckingtruth forum. Most of them are a bunch of mushroom farmers that feed people Sheisser and keep them in the dark.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    verbally assaulting you..??

STOP TALKING TO YOURSELF!!!!!!

4. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    putting 500k on in 3 years does not make you a good driver, it makes you a slave, and the company is laughing to the bank

I’ll put my 97 up against any of these box of recyclables rolling off the dealerships, without the emissions or elogs...

5. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    that’s what I was thinking

6. jdeese

jdeese Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2010
    asheboro, nc

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

He has away of getting under my skin somehow. I shouldnt have to put up with him!

buddyd157 and tarmadilo Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    IMO you'd be CRAZY to not learn how to drive a manual. That $500 is cheap compared to having to do it again later. Money well spent is how I see it.

So what if you never drive a manual in your career? At least you have the option and it makes you a much more versatile/valuable employee.

Manuals will never 100% disappear. They are far, FAR superior to an automatic in some trucking applications.

9. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    There you have it - the senior citizens think you should. Some talk about learning something new for unspecified opportunities - like speaking Spanish - and a driver who claims to make >$1/mile all agree. Didn’t see a word about why a successful company would choose to use equipment that spent more time broke down and cost more to maintain. Not one mentioned that there are a lot of companies that are in financial trouble and can’t afford new equipment. I’ve been stuck in traffic because a Reddaway truck with 2 million miles was stuck when its driveshaft dropped off the truck and rolled down the street. Their drivers have to give 15% of their pay back to Reddaway.

It’s your choice to make. Oh, I’ve had an unrestricted license for years. I’m a Teamster. My outfit’s average truck is 18 months old.

10. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I would definitely pay the extra $500, cheap insurance and adds to your skill set. The old saying "Don't be penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind.

11. Flankenfurter

Flankenfurter Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    USA
    Thanks all. I'll do the manual. I was thinking the same thing. Better to have it than to not. Just wish it didn't cost more. I imagine in the future it will be phased out completely and the only way trucking companies can find manual drivers is to train them themselves, pay manual drivers more, or be forced to buy automatics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.