Sirius radio going to ####

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by stylicho, Sep 27, 2013.

1. stylicho

stylicho Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Who else is tired of the company's move to more syndicated programming? I really liked the political channels (not gonna say which side) that you didn't get on television. Some of them would cuss and say whatever was on their mind, whether they were of that political persuasion or not. For example, Alex Bennet and Mike Malloy on the left would berate the current president for being full of ####. Bennet is gone and Malloy is on replay past midnight so most people can't even listen to him anymore. That tv host Stephanie Miller took over Bennet's place and I think Media Matters took over Malloy's time slot. Both personas controlled by corporations. Lynn Samuels was also awesome, but she was also kicked off the program before her death. Ed Schultz from MSNBC took over her slot.
    Now lets talk about Mad Dog radio (a sports channel). They used to have regular Joe Schmoes all throughout the day, which I enjoyed the most because you could talk about anything. Now they have another TV personality, Dan Patrick, who has a huge time slot and doesn't let you talk about anything you want. They moved Dino Costa to channel 92. Luckily he's still on the air although I don't care for his politics. Even NFL radio has turned into a hack media circus. They hardly let you say anything negative about Roger Goodell although they are supposedly not affiliated with the NFL. However, all the radio hosts on the NFL network somehow now also broadcast live games on tv. I remember just a couple of years ago most of the announcers couldn't stand what Goodell was doing to the game. Now they are all for it:biggrin_25513:? WTF is up with that? Only Ross Tucker still has any integrity to call something out in the NFL he doesn't like. Hell, even Bob Papa and Jim Miller turned. I never saw that coming. So many sell outs.
    This is a line from the movie "Scent of a Woman"
    I'm gonna shoot you, too. Your life's finished anyway. Your friend George is gonna sing like a canary. And so are you. And once you've sung, Charlie, my boy, you're gonna take your place on that long, grey line of American manhood. And then you will be through.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fr8te_sh8ker

fr8te_sh8ker Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    On the other hand Sirius' music-only package is pretty good.

I dropped talk/sports/weather a long time ago.

4. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    SiriusXM is all there is though. I like Stephanie, didnt know alex was gone, I haven't listened since they cut Stephanie down to 1 hour after they brought Mark in. Don't care about that boring show. There is still a lot on siriusxm. Raw dog, dirty dog, Howard stern, Carlin's corner, deep tracks, liquid metal and there is a lot of other channels that are great. Art Bell will be on too, for guys who like UFO talk (see you psycho alex jones!!) but I hadn't listened to Sirius left in a while.

5. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Hmm. I just started a subscription about 6 months ago and I'm hooked. There's always something interesting and good to listen to. I happen to think it's the best $22 I spend every month and would be bored to tears without it.

By the way. I literally hated the Grateful Dead until I started driving. Then I came across the GD Channel and listened to it just for laughs. Now I find that it makes for some great cruising music. I'm hooked. That's what I really like about it. Trying new things. There's an abundance of it just waiting to be discovered...

6. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    You think sirius is getting worse try fm radio play the same 5 new songs over and over.

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I like driving to mindless music. The big selling point of satellite radio was Commercial Free. That's true but they can barely go 2 songs in a row without a station identification. Worse yet on the 90's and 80's they have those stupid little jingles about every other song. Usually play 1 song, 1 jingle, then 2 songs, station ID then repeat. I like BPM over night, sometimes get lucky and have about a 3 hour block of back to back to back tunes. Then they start bringing the DJ's on who I swear when they talk all I hear is "Me me me I I me I I I me me me"

OK to the bosses at Sirius XM, what you have is a different breed of listener, we don't need to be entertained between songs by the DJ's like over on FM. I am seriously considering getting a VU Cube which will track satellite while moving so I can tune in to true interruption free music. The only good thing about my radio is that with the remote control I can back up a good song over and over for an hour then hit fast forward one time each time they want to jingle or talk and it skips to the next song. When it gets too bad I switch over to the Love channel god help me but they have no DJs nor jingles although they do play christmas crap for 2 solid months which is a real downer.

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    My biggest complaint is that the commercial free radio channels seem to have the DJ's that continually talk during the songs. If they want to talk about the song, do it before or after the song.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Check out Dr. Laura on channel 106, weekdays from 1400-1800 Eastern. You'll realize you're not that nuts, after all.

Blind Driver Thanks this.
  10. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    I would throw my radio out the window and run it over if I had to listen to "Dr Laura". I'd rather drive a spike through my head.

Pound Puppy Thanks this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    That really bugs me on BPM, the DJ wants to talk about the group's upcoming concert in Amsterdam and Australia. Of if 'you're going to be in NYC Friday night they are going to be playing at...' OK if I really cared I could look that up myself on this thing called the Internet.

I get it on the 80's channel, with the old VJ's from MTV but on the 90's channel there is absolutely no need for DJs to be blabbing about their personal lives between songs. It's almost like management over there is afraid former FM listeners won't be able to handle 100% music without being spoonfed stupid like Mike and Mike in the morning jingles and morning afternoon and evening commute DJ personalities.

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.