skills and driving test question

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by cshellzbynow, Nov 8, 2013.

1. cshellzbynow

cshellzbynow Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Cleveland, Tx
    I have in the past went to a truck driving school in san diego, ca. 2wks in the classroom and 2wks skills and driving to be split up with me and 3 other students....well I did get my cdl but I did not feel I was properly trained. First I don't feel it was enough time and when I took the road test with dmv I came down the hill in neutral and the dmv instructor did not know. He passed me.....well no way was I going to be in control of an 80,000lbs truck no way I wasn't going to do it. Well im ready to jump back in the saddle and my question is do I take my driving and skills test at a dmv facility or do they come to where central refrigerated is. How does it work when you get your training from a company?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vintage

Vintage Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Sea to Shining Sea
    Don't feel bad. No one really knows what they're doing right out school (no matter how much of a big-shot they claim to be in class). Most companies who hire recent grads require you to go out on the road with an experienced trainer for a few weeks. Forget the dmv, if you have your cdl already, you wont have to deal with them again until it comes time to renew your license. More than likely, there'll be a company appointed instructor who will oversee and assess your driving skills.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  4. cshellzbynow

Aug 24, 2013
    Cleveland, Tx
    That was some time back and since I was not at ease with the training I transferred back to c class. In the 2wks time I was there we only drove every other day now split that up with 3 other students......just not enough time.

5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The purpose of driving school is to give you enough experience behind the wheel to pass the DMV driving test. As noted above, being a school graduate in no way qualifies you to be a truck driver and companies that hire recent graduates understand.

Your real training will be after you hire on with a company and go through their training program. You can expect to go to orientation for a few days with a company, pass a quick road test (much easier than DMV test), drug test, physical, and maybe some written tests. After that you will be assigned to a trainer. You will have a couple hundred hours of behind the wheel experience before you test out of training with a final road test before being assigned a truck to begin driving solo or team "for real".

Even after getting through training and getting into your own truck you will likely feel a bit overwhelmed. If you aren't then you are a risk. Always get behind the wheel of your truck with a healthy sense of respect for the forces a 40 ton sled can generate.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. cshellzbynow

Aug 24, 2013
    Cleveland, Tx
    Ok I understand all what ur saying that school is the past now I don't have the cdl anymore im ready to do it again I'll be going to central for training. What im trying to find out is do you do your skills and driving at a dmv facility or do they do it at central? And like I said it wasn't enough training FOR ME and I used MY better judgement.

7. SlowPoke44magnum

SlowPoke44magnum Medium Load Member

May 3, 2009
    Walbridge,Ohio
    Why would you give up a CDL? Did you mean you had a learner's permit and never got your license changed to a CDL after passing the driving test? A little FYI. Schools are only going to teach you enough to pass the test. Your real world training comes from the carrier you hire on with.
    But to answer your question... You will have to pass another DMV driving test to get a CDL no matter where you get your company training. Some truck driving schools are actual DMV test centers, TrainCo is the school/ DMV test center here. Carrier training programs are not to the best of my knowledge.

8. cshellzbynow

Aug 24, 2013
    Cleveland, Tx
    No had the cdl it was my choice and not yours to question and I know I have to pass another dmv test whether school or company. But yet you don't know the answer to my question. Look im not trying to by shyty but I didn't post this thread for anyone to question my decisions I just need a simple answer to a question......that's all

9. mirrormirror

mirrormirror Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That question would be best answered by the company you choose to train with.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Try calling ummmm, Central, and ask the following . . .

Do I test at a DMV facility, or does a DMV officer come to Central and test us.

Be ready with paper and pencil.

Add note - "remind self not to lease truck no matter what they say"

Stick note to dash. Happy trails camper!

11. racerdad

racerdad Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Burlington, WA
    At the Salt Lake City facility the driving testing is done by DMV authorized individuals in Central's truck coming and going from company headquarters. The learner's permit (no driving) test is done at DMV.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.