Sleeper compartment section in trailer?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I was thinking the other day and realized I had seen something in horse trailers that I have not seen in semi trailers.

Many very large horse trailers have human living space in the nose.

Has anyone ever seen this in a semi trailer that is actively hauling cargo?

I figure that if one were to take a 53' trailer and build a bulkhead at the 5' line, there would be plenty of space for a decent sleeper.

Entry could be a door in the front of the trailer, maybe a couple windows there too. An A.C. unit could be mounted, but the trailer itself would probably have to be a dry box, since a full size reefer and a door and windows would be a real challenge to arrange at the front of a reefer trailer.

The bulkhead would have to be substantial and permanent, so shippers would not have concerns about load security. Also, so forklifts would not spear through the bulkhead into the sleeper.

This would allow drivers to live in comfort, while not needing to buy a high dollar truck with comfy sleeper. A 5 foot slice of a trailer would have a lot more usable space than most sleepers. Huge storage cabinets, and room for an RV shower and toilet, though it might be a bit cramped if you do go for all the comforts. Maybe you would want a couple extra feet of the trailer for restroom and kitchen amenities.

It would mean a little inconvenience moving between sleeper and cab, clearly. Team driving would be a little more annoying, and perhaps legally a problem - are there legal restrictions about passengers in a trailer?

Has anyone ever seen a working trailer like what I described?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
  4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    201 Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Several problems off the top of my head:

1) Getting the weight of the load far enough forward in the trailer to balance the load across the drives and trailer tandems AND still be legal on KPRA. Currently, they load all of the way to the nose and sometimes it is an issue. Moving the freight 5' to the rear means you've just shifted a few thousand pounds to the rear as well.

2) Trailers are limited in the length they are allowed to be. 48' trailers are legal everywhere, but hardly anybody uses them because customers want the 53' of available space. Taking 5' out of the nose and converting it to a living quarters is going to take the "freight" section of the trailer back down to the 48' few customers want to see while still burdening you with the laws and restrictions applicable to trailers longer than 48'.

3) You can't use such a trailer for a team operation, because it is illegal (except for certain specific situations) for a person to ride in a trailer.

4) Drop & hook situations would entail moving all of your stuff from one trailer's LQ to the other...and moving into whatever mess the previous driver(s) have left for you. That would be unacceptable to many drivers. Slip-seating a truck is bad enough. VERY FEW will agree to slip-seating their bunk.

5) That 5' you are talking about is only 60"...which is a fairly common size for a sleeper berth. On the truck, you don't necessarily NEED a separate HVAC system, windows, doors, or anything else.

All said and done, it is cheaper, easier, more convenient, and more agreeable to the drivers for the bunk to be on the truck instead of the trailer.

6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Good points, thanks!

The trailer would likely need to be split tandem then, for the extra allowed weight. And drop and hooks are definitely out. No team operations either.

Still seems like it might be plausible for an owner operator. I see a very large number of loads that use less than the full 53' of a trailer.

But definitely different, and would probably irritate shippers.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Split tandems run into a whole other set of issues. To be "California Legal", a trailer over 48' long can't have a KPRA measurement of more than 40'. If you've got a 36" pin, that means that you've got 10' of trailer behind that rear axle. The front axle is another 10' ahead of that, so you've got 20' of trailer behind that axle. That trailer would ride like crap, wouldn't turn worth a dime, and be a nightmare to drive on anything but a straight road in dry conditions. You also couldn't pull that trailer in Canada...heard they don't recognize spreads and prefer the closed tandems.

rabbiporkchop and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What do you mean not to buy a high dollar truck?

You price day cabs lately?

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I can't imagine that truck manufacturers would be giving away sleeper cabs for free.

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Have you ever "riden" in/on a trailer, if you think trying to sleep team in a bunk is bad a trailer would be a nightmare, lol

Farmerbob1 and Dale thompson Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.