Sliding tandems

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by NatureGirl22, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Trckdrvr

Trckdrvr Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Georgia
    Hard for me to believe this posting?..really it is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Reefer_Madness

Reefer_Madness Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2014
    not trying to beat a dead horse but i routinely run a 15 cascadia with a carrier reefer/ utility trailer and this is what works for my truck,

I set my tandems at california legal on all loads before I scale them so that this way i have the same starting point all the time but this part is my personal preference.

I then scale the load and read the ticket
    I f I need to move me tandems I take the HEAVY number and subtract the lighter number ( i.e. 34440 - 32800) then divide that number by 500
    in this case 34440- 32800= 1640 / 500 = 3.28 so I would move my tandems to the heavy number 2 maybe 3 pins ( personally run a bit heavy on my drives so 2 will be plenty)

Doing this methode really saves me time by not re-weighing the load.. I just set it an go.

Hope this helps/

X-Country and southtruck Thank this.
  4. 70s_driver

70s_driver Medium Load Member

May 4, 2014
    when sliding your trailer tandems, figure about 200-250 lbs per hole.if you weighed your truck and your trailer wheels are weighing heavy at 35,000 lbs, you would need to move your tandems back about 4 holes and then reweigh it. if your tractor tandems are weighing 35,000, slide your trailer tandems forward 4 holes and reweigh. sliding your trailer tandems forward takes weight off the tractor and puts it on the trailer. sliding your trailer tandems back puts weight on your tractor tandems and takes it off the trailer.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    This is about as basic as I can illustrate the issue in "simple terms" and assumes the cargo volume/weight is all loaded evenly. Now for an exercise, looking at the trailer illustrated, imagine if the rear 33% of the cargo volume, comprised 50% of the cargo weight ... this would amplify the weight effects of any changes to the pivot point. Point is, if rear 1/3 is "heavy", each hole will move x weight off/onto the nose. If rear 1/3 is "light", each hole will move y weight off/onto the nose. So there is no hard and fast rules as to how much each hole will change weight configuration. Each load is different in most cases in terms of weight distribution. But the physics are the same. It's about the weight that is behind the pivot point that effects the weight at the nose. For the purposes of this exercise, don't concern yourself with steer weight, only concern yourself with how much weight is at the trailer front, based on the trailer tandems position.

You're essentially dealing with a fulcrum.

[​IMG]

JPenn Thanks this.
  6. Lockport

Lockport Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Lockport, MB, CAN
    Holes are probably 300lbs per. Slide the tandems back to shift more of the load bearing to the drives and vice versa.

When it comes to 53' trailers, most states allow no more than 41' between the kingpin and the center of the tandem axles. California's, as usual, is the exception. In California you must slide the tandems up so the distance is 40' and its the center of the rearmost axle, NOT the center if the tandems. If you get a load to California its always advisable to slide to the 40' immediately after loading and scale. Don't load to 34,000lbs at and then try to slide up to 40' at Reno

7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    and if you can't get it right have the shipper readjust it. that is their job, to load it legal.

pain in the butt ,yes.

8. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    lmao. The science of trucking. Its more like trucking for dummies to me. Oh well. Im sure there's an app for this by now.

9. NatureGirl22

NatureGirl22 Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2014
    We are in Ohio going to Florida by way of the Carolinas and Georgia...does that help out a bit?

10. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I start tandems all way forward and then adjust accordingly. If im off usually by 1 or 2 holes

11. KentuckyReject

KentuckyReject Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Viper, KY
    You said we, there is more than one person in this truck that doesn't know how to fix this situation? I call troll on this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.