Snackbar is chillin'....at Shaffer

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by supersnackbar, Oct 26, 2020.

1. gamingtrucker1

gamingtrucker1 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2022
    Whew this has been a amazing story so far.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Linehaul is also regular route. Too predictable for you, just like getting well acquainted with all manner of odors emanating from said “full grown adult”. :biggrin_25523:

Geekonthestreet and Lonesome Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Yeah, if I drove the same route all week, this would be me

Lonesome Thanks this.
  5. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    Enjoy it, I’m out here now, hopefully you’ll be able to avoid the snow and have better traffic luck than me, I’m up around Arlington WA and they had two major accidents on I5 south today, the highway was closed for awhile - I ended up taking a 7hr break after loading…

newbietrucker91 Thanks this.
  6. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Yes. $0.74 CPM base pay is big money. The majority of OTR reefer and dry van drivers on W2 payrolls are not making even close to that much (including myself). Although the internet in general would have you believe otherwise. I don't know about flatbed or tanker or other specialized work.

Also, your $0.74 CPM isn't the number to be comparing to Snackbar's $0.70 CPM. Because you're home everyday and on a dedicated (the same) run every day. So that $0.74 CPM is what a dedicated local run would look like.

The number to compare to Snackbar and OTR drivers is the $0.78 CPM. Because Extraboard (at least at Estes) is the LTL equivalent of a truckload OTR driver. And even then it's really more like the equivalent of a truckload regional driver as they generally (but not always) run 5 days out and 2 days home. Although I understand that a small minority of non-team drivers at Estes will choose to stay out and run the road true OTR style, just staying in hotels for their 34's.

The other thing to consider is that extraboard drivers are getting 8 days off per month. I doubt that Snackbar is taking 8 days off per month to hit his quarterly/monthly bonuses (although I could be wrong I don't know how Shaffer/Crete's bonus system or pay system works so maybe the amount of miles he runs each month/quarter has nothing to do with his bonus, I don't know).

Also, LTL extraboard guys don't have to put up with opti-idles, they go in hotels and just set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature lol (sorry I couldn't resist the stories about Snackbar's opti-idle are kind of funny).

Not trying to argue with either Kao or Snackbar, I just wanted to point out to anyone reading the thread who might be new to the industry not to get deceived. LTL and Estes in particular has its negatives for sure, but OTR reefer and dry van drivers on W2's are not ever going to beat what linehaul or extraboard drivers are making if we are going by how many hours are worked (for example Kao isn't maxing out his 70 each week if he's on a 490 mile linehaul dedicated run, unless they have him with really heavy loads each night and doing almost all mountain driving).

I would definetely advise anybody new to the industry to try out LTL to see if you like it, there's never been a better time to get into these places (where you don't have to work the dock and pay your dues first) than there is now. If you don't like it, you can always go back OTR like I did lol.

Sorry to derail the thread, carry on :D

Winnyf1, brian991219, Dennixx and 2 others Thank this.
  7. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Some hands don’t want to be home that often. Bad marriage or a wife that really doesn’t care if they are there or not. Neighbor down the street taking care of her needs. Who knows. Maybe they just like to be around the carnival workers you see at the truck stops.

8. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I took 10 days off in Feb....and between the time I left out in Oct after Mrs. Snackbar's surgery and that time I took off in Feb I was home for 1.5 days over Christmas. Since I left out in Feb, I haven't even seen the state of FL, but I am going home next Friday. By the time I get there I will have been out 65 days, and will be taking 7 days off.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  9. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    If that works for you and the Mrs so be it. Just doesn’t seem like much of a life to stay out that long especially in a turdliner with the idling issues the company has. 4.5 days is enough for me plus I make about 3K less a year than you. I’ll take it for the comfort of home life.

Winnyf1, Speedy356 and mslashbar Thank this.
  10. Geekonthestreet

Geekonthestreet Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2021
    Chicago
    Sounds like a solid gig to me! If you want that pay at home you might actually have to do real work like construction.

11. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I'm too old to do real work. The only thing I would do if I stayed home all the time would be finish the honey-do list before I die.

Geekonthestreet and Bumper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.