So how bad was 2019?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 86scotty, Dec 23, 2019.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'm hoping to keep this on topic.

Not asking for your specific numbers, just curious how this year compared. I've hung up the keys for the year and will spend the next couple of weeks doing some maintenance catch up and drinking a lot of beer.

There's no arguing last year was one of the best and this year was one of the worst but how did you do as an owner operator?

I'm down $20k from last year. Last year I made more money than I ever have before and this year the second most money I've ever made. I'm not complaining.

So how did you do compared to last year or recent years?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Not bad for us. Could be because were located in a very good area for freight. Most of what we do is out n back same day. Most of the time coming back empty. 2 truck 2 trailer dry box operation. Were looking to get 2 more wagons cus were missing out on some work not having an extra wagon or 2

4. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Much worse than last year for me for sure. Brokers lowered rates all across nation. Right now truck broke down and I'm sittimg at rest area waiting for part to show up

Rideandrepair and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    The rates went down for us but our outbound, 6k in the wagon 330mi (one way not the round) pays 1250, was 1500 before. We come back empty 75% of the time to hustle back and grab another light load.

Our jersey city run pays 750 on 175mi. We usually grab a load back and drop it in Scranton the same day on the way back. Or load glass in avenell nj bound for Elmira next morning

Only work with 2-3 brokers and they call us for loads we haven't used dat in a while. Good rates still to be had just gotta get in the right brokerages. Usually the smaller ones

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Mine was bad, but it was for mechanical issues. I lost the ecm and lived the dictum "you'd better have some money saved up"!

7. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Mine was above $2 a mile pulling flat last year. I switched to refer and doing 1.75 all miles now lol. Grossed 200k this year in total

Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Lost between 400 and 500 on some lanes I was running. Staying out longer on runs and deadhead increased. Still made money but could have drove for someone and made almost the same minus the headaches.

Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. rahtek

rahtek Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2013
    I decided not to play a game I couldn't win and stayed home all year.

I severely underestimate the effects ELD would have on my operation.

What you sacrifice to be an OTR o/o, to me, is worth at a minimum 100k after all deductions. Quickly realized that this is no longer a possibility so I pulled the cord. With this eld I need to see rates, to the truck, of about 2.20-2.50 and I just cant wait for the rates to rebound; if they ever do at all. Im selling the truck, going company, and retiring at the end of next year.

Coming back early this year and seeing the hundreds of newly purchased trucks was eye opening. Im out of that famous Chicago suburb, and if you guys could see the amount of new trucks added just over a couple of months, you'd start to question whether you have a future in this business too. I honestly cant and wont compete with the revolving door of uneducated masses looking for a middle class job. I'd like to make it clear that Im not blaming any one in particular . Im just not good enough to provide a service to differentiate myself from everyone else and that squarely falls on me.

Maybe you should specialize? Well, Ill leave you with this gem.

10. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Down about $10,000 from last year. Worked harder for worse freight. Personal life was a wreck. 2019 wasn’t my favorite.

11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Good stuff so far. As a 2 year O/O I'm certainly not giving up any time soon. I am not seeing the huge influx of people interfering with my lanes but I honestly don't run in or out of a lot of major cities like Chicago. I run 100% spot market off load boards with a few repeat regulars but that is not the same as contract freight. I have no obligations and don't want any.

No surprise within PA is good Brett, I always make money going there but not coming out.

Looks like maintenance has pulled a lot of you guys down. I've got to say I've been really lucky there. I could not begin to expect to get as lucky another full year as I did last year. I know that is a total crapshoot in this game though. Some good, some bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.