So it happened

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Lowbedjoe, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Lowbedjoe

Lowbedjoe Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2018
    New Hampshire
    Ok so a little introduction I'm Joe AKA lowbed Joe. Well I used to be annyway I ran lowbed and beam for 8.5 years then a CPL months ago my lovely lady who has been driving straight truck for 2.5 yrs decided we wanted to team drive and see the country (yes at 75mph) lol with our 2 yes I said 2dogs a 10yr old pit and a 6 month old shepherd yes I know crazy idea not enough space ectect well the day came and we both quit our jobs and here we are fast forward 1.5weeks we have been on the road now and there was definitely an adjustment and we are still in that period the dogs love it laying in the bunk just watching the cars trucks zoom by as for us it's been alittle Rocky we found out she is very afraid of driving in the mountains as well as the snow just great rite also i have issues sleeping well she is in charge I don't doubt her ability as a driver because she knows her limits he yet at the same time I do it's weird ...... She sleeps like a rock well I'm driving Im jealous hahaha we have a rough time in the truck stops geting fuel / grabing a bite to eat ect with the dogs because they think EVERYONE is trying to break into the truck so it's a mess when we get back into the truck any ideas would be appreciated the plus side is when she is walking them at night she feels a lot safer lol witch is understandable a 90lb girl who looks like she is 15 walking through a truck stop at 2am is not the best idea on a side note she was pulled out of the truck by Wyoming's dot at the Port of entry to make sure I wasn't kidnapping her anyways I'm just rambling hope you enjoyed the read I'll add updates later on if you see us on the road or a truck stop say hi

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thediscgolfdude

thediscgolfdude Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Great post .. is the sleep getting easier as y'all get more used to the "driving team mode" of doing things? In regards to the dogs, maybe you could chain them out outside to the truck. I really don't know, personally do not want to drive with animals in the cab.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2018
    Reason for edit: Grammar critic
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I copied your first post and broke it up into sections. Then added punctuations myself

With that said.

Two things.

Animals and trucking plural do not work well. I realize they are family and all that, but you cannot maintain a relatively orderly business like environment with two or more doggies running wild in there.

Second, you discovered that one of you is afraid of something, in this case mountain driving. Mountain work is nothing more than getting over a very big hill and then carefully coming down off it without getting hurt or killed or doing damage. You will get used to it by doing it over and over and over, slowly and safely. You will need to find a way to adapt quickly and dispose of this fear because winter is coming, which will introduce a whole set of problems in mountain work.

As for the rest of it, I'll leave it to others. Personally I don't care if you had pets or not but more than one dog in a big truck is a problem in a number of ways.

Reason for edit: Grammar critic
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Well good on you for following your plan.

I found a cat for 2 days in a 120” sleeper cramped my style - you’re a braver pair than I with 2 dogs.

However, good point on the safety feature.

We teamed 9 + years - you’ll sort the issues out.

Plan to be awake in the mountain grades if you can - teach her through them till she’s more comfortable.

You can go down them too slow all you want - you only get one chance at ‘too fast ‘.

Good luck, be safe.

Sisbro, Feedman and Lowbedjoe Thank this.
  6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Maybywastired while puttiingup post. Lol enjoyed it also.

Reason for edit: Quoted edited
  7. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    As a dog oriented person, I have some suggestions about the two dogs in the truck. My husband has a 50lb, 1 year old Swiss Entlebucher in the truck full time with him and I have 6 other dogs at home that range from 18 months to 15 years old. The pack is a combination of three Ridgebacks, a Plott Hound (all big dogs), a small mix breed and a Blue Heeler. My dogs work with me on the farm and when I travel, I always have at least two of the dogs with me.

Number one rule is to set up a strict routine for your dogs and don't mess with it. This means that they eat at the same time every single day - each one in his own spot , they gets walks on a schedule and in the same way every day. You set your routines by establishing obedience training first and then teaching the dogs that they can depend on you keeping to the routine no matter what.

For example - when getting out of the truck, the dogs are taught to sit still on the bunk while you get the leashes on. No leaping around with dog excitement until they are safely outside on the leash. That intense guard dog behavior that's tearing things up when both of you are out of the truck can be addressed by obedience training - sit, stay, quiet are the most important commands to teach and reward every time the dogs complete them. Until you can tell the dogs Sit, Stay, Quiet and they do this the entire time you're both outside of the truck, you can't leave them alone in the truck. One of you must stay in the truck while the other pumps fuel, uses the toilet, showers etc. The one in the truck is working on the sit/stay/quiet training - then you swap out.

My husband carries a fold up crate for Beth so he can contain her safely if the truck is in the shop or he spends a night in a motel. It folds flat and fits under his mattress. Also, he used a super desirable bone filled with peanut butter to teach her to be calm when he was out of the truck the first few weeks she was with him. She never got that filled bone unless he was leaving her alone. It worked because she was totally focused on the bone and not the anxiety of being left alone.

Teaching the dogs how and when to behave is critical for their peace of mind and yours. Good luck

REO6205 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.