SoCal to Central Cali run first time

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kingty9183, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Kingty9183

Kingty9183 Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2019
    Connecticut
    Tonight im making my first run into Central California. I’m picking up a load at Amazon in Moreno Valley and heading to Tracy California. I’ve spent the last 2 1/2 months out west and I’ve been all over Southern California but I’ve never ventured past Bakersfield. I was wondering what am I in store for going north on I-5? . Is that area more trucker friendly or am I going to have a hard time finding parking and how bad are the inclines/declines??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LameMule

LameMule Heavy Load Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    You'll probably take 99

4. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Once you bounce over the grapevine it’s nothing but flat ground for 500 miles

5. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    I would look toward running I15 and then 395 toward 58, just to get out of the basin sooner. But I am biased toward using 99 also.

WOW having a hard time coming up with non derogatory remarks for the "drivers" that I see on I5..... I gona be a good boy and stop right about here.

Vic Firth, REO6205 and LameMule Thank this.
  6. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I-5 has better parking options. 99 has some of the biggest s-hole truck stops in the country. I-5 is SO boring combined with the LA-Bay Area traffic makes for an unpleasant drive. Pick your poison.

7. BunBaoPho88

BunBaoPho88 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I. CANT. DRIVE.. 55!!

(I'll see myself out)

Speed_Drums, MOBee, Vic Firth and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    99 is 200 miles of urban freeway…Bakersfield to Sacramento. Take I-5 there’s ample parking and every exit has truck services. Take both, one up and the other back down south. You’ll take 5 both ways next time.

9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I hate everything about California.....but.....stay on I-5. 99 is just a several hundred mile drive through Northern Mexico.

10. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I run that area often. From Moreno Valley, go North up to the 210. Better road and usually better traffic, although traffic in that whole area is a PITA. Once you get to I- 5, you'll start climbing into the Santa Monica Mountains. It can get windy and gusty, so advice tomcheck out wind conditions. You'll go through Castaic with a Flying J. It's always packed and their reserved parking often gets sold out days in advance, so be careful on planning to stop there. As you pass Lubec,,you'll come to the grapevine. A long steep grade down. Truck speed is 35 mph for a reason. If you're heavy and/or inexperienced with long steep grades, GO SLOW!!! I've seen more than 1 truck smoke their brakes coming down the grapevine. Once at the bottom, you'll get to Wheeler Ridge with both a TA and a Petro. The TA always had spots there, once you continue North passed that parking can get iffy, especially at night. But, once you get that far, no more grades of any significance as you cruise North through the Valley. If you're going to Tracy, you'll take I-5 and not 99. I like I-5 better.
    Lastly before you get to Tracy, you'll pass through Patterson. Theynhqve a Flying J there and behind the Flying J is an independent truck wash place. It's my preferred place to get my truck washed, they always do a good job, at least they have for me.
    Speed. Trucks usually run from around 61 to 64 through there. If you keep it under 65 very most likely no cops will bug you.

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. Kingty9183

Kingty9183 Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2019
    Connecticut
    That long grade that you spoke of I went down there a few times already I even stopped at the TA at bottom. You’re absolutely right it’s nothing to play with. I used my engine break the whole time going down

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted