Some Numbers For Those Considering Lease Operation

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I recently had a guy I know ask me to help him decipher some numbers for him regarding the lease op program he is signed onto. I put together a simple spreadsheet for him based on the numbers HE gave me. I have since fine tuned the numbers somewhat.

The bottom line is that these various lease op companies use different metrics, or smoke and mirrors as I call them, in the way their particular program functions. It can be very confusing to the average person looking at those numbers on face value. Because the numbers are always presented by the recruiter in the optimum way.

The bottom line for the majority (not all) of them, the lease op guy/gal are taking it in the shorts. The assumed risk & liability pale in comparison to what is actually gained in these programs. Remember, ALL, & I mean ALL of the liability & risks are being shifted by the leasing company onto the lessee.

The first spreadsheet represents the numbers he gave me. He receives either 90% of the line-haul rate or in some cases a flat rate which includes fuel surcharge. The numbers were obtained on the typical round trip(s) this guy does each month. 11,000 miles at $1.68 ALL miles dry van rate.

The bottom line is his gross revenue take per mile is around $0.59 per mile after expenses.

The second spreadsheet is what the top tier line-haul company driver makes at the same place with benefits. I included some rough numbers on what the company employee overhead expense would be on that employee driver.

The bottom line is that the company driver labor costs are $0.52 per mile after expenses.

If someone can justify to me that the difference of $0.07 per mile is worth assuming ALL liability & risks, have at it. Don't try the "well, he's buying the truck and will have some equity at the end of the lease" either. The residual buy out on that truck at the end of 5 years is over $35,000.

Hope this helps ;-)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    As you can tell, I like using the phrase "The Bottom line" ;-)

Because after all is said and done, the bottom line IS the bottom line.

lovetwodrive Thanks this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    As to my smoke & mirror assertion, just take a look at this Mega company lease program .pdf outline.

I can't imagine the average company driver (especially one's with very little experience) sitting in the recruiters office understanding, let alone grasping the severity of signing on to a lease program like this.

Btw, I grabbed this pdf file from here Crst and their "new" lease purchase outline

Attached Files:

5. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    So food, phone and truck supplies go away as a company driver?

If you're counting that cost in both columns it changes your numbers.

If you take it away from both lease and company spreadsheets it changes the difference from $.07 to $.12. There's a significant difference now.

Does his lease allow him to build equity in the asset? Can he at some point use that truck as a down payment before the lease is finished provided he's not upside down?

What about tax planning? Lease drivers can write off a significant amount of operating expenses.

What about home time? Are company drivers forced to stay out an extended time and only given minimum home time after? He can choose his home time to suit his needs as a leasee.

What about loads? Can he choose? Does he have the option of brokers and load boards? Is company forced dispatch?

Does the company have absurd idle rules for company owned trucks?

Hard to answer your question without more info.

"Bottom line" for $.12 more per mile or $15,868 more per year based on your mileage estimates, I would sign the contract.

Dave_in_AZ and Opus Thank this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
  7. Rooster1291979

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    $15,868 more per year. Yes. That's a lot of pennies.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Rooster1291979

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Also I was being kind to your spreadsheet. There are many columns I could shave to increase my take home.

You're also assuming $1.68 to be his best rate. You mentioned a % as well.

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    So, you would assume all liability, including cargo & physical damages on the truck & trailer with a $2,500 deductible on each item, pay a higher self-employment tax, provide your own health insurance for pennies on the mile extra? Wow! ;-)

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    In reality, I was being kind to his numbers. He doesn't gross $1.68 a mile consistently. I know that for a fact. But as I said, I was being generous ;-)

11. Rooster1291979

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    If he doesn't gross $1.68 per mile that would change things for me.

I have been leasing for 5 years. It's not a purchase. Just a rental. For me it's a question of money and home time. If at the end of the day I make more than a company driver and get home more often it's worth it.

The reasons people lease are subjective to their needs and desires. Many people do well in a lease. Most fail. I will concede that point all day every day.

Leasing is a risky way to run a business. It's not for the meek. It's not for the unintelligent. If you find a good lease, run smart and have a strong work ethic the rewards can be very worthwhile.

Overall I agree it's often predatory. The vast majority of people who sign on the dotted line have no business being in business.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.