Starting to regret trucking school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Doggod, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Tigerfishinc

Tigerfishinc Light Load Member

May 28, 2021
    I knew a guy who didn’t know anything about trucks - heck he stuck written sticky notes on all the engine parts to help him through the pre trip.
    He failed his driving test 3 times - and his road test once. Bought a truck not knowing how to change gears - in 6 months he was backing that rig up like a tonka. He went from 1 truck to owning 6 trucks in 1 year.
    Started as an owner operator- and in school he didn’t have money to buy a subway sandwich.
    Just stay with it. Take it slow - and don’t let anyone rush you. Your favorite statement is going to be - I’ll try my best - wether it’s delivering the load - or when you’re pushed for an eta
    And he started his journey in 2021
    Anything is possible in this great country of ours.

Zangief, Boondock, Nashville and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I’ve said this before but it bears repeating, I was seriously bad at backing until our training manager took me off the road and away from my trainer (who was a shouter and a terrible teacher) and had me practice my backing and parking for eight hours in our lot. I would back it in between two parked trailers, then pull it out and drive around and do it again. At one point after four or five hours, I finally started to get a feel for where the back end of the trailer was and how to steer it. By the end of the day, I had gone from hopeless to competent. The following week I went out with a different trainer and had a great week, and the week after that I had my own truck.

Note that I said I was competent, not good, and definitely not skilled! It often wasn’t pretty, but I managed to get the job done. I got at least a tiny bit better every day, and every once in a while I’d have a major breakthrough. Get this: nowadays I actually enjoy parking a trailer!

Cattleman84, Boondock, Numb and 5 others Thank this.
  4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    What you need to do is sit down and consider ( ponder) as to what was the motivation for doing this? What made you decide you want to learn to drive trucks and make a living out of it? That's quite a lot of money to spend and not go through with it, driving a truck is not the same as driving a car but you knew this already right? You've got a 48' - 53' trailer being towed behind you so you need to allow for that, If you've ever owned a travel trailer this may at least have demonstrated to you the difference when turning at an intersection, you always need to watch back at the rear axles on the trailer when you turn at an intersection specially when turning right, to make sure its not going to run into something, and this is something that you can only train yourself to do, its not something natural, after all when you turn at an intersection with a car you don't have to do that. As the old saying goes "Practice makes perfect" which is why even professional sporting players continue to train, so stick with the course and continue to learn and you will eventually pick it up, and of course coming on a website like this one where you can get lots of extra tips from other professional drivers is always a benefit too.

5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I don't know how you guys do it. When I got my license, I had already been in a truck for 13-14 years. I knew that's what I wanted to do, and even then I changed my mind and went to college.

Practice is what will take the edge off, but it's a steep learning curve, and most get thrown in the deep end of the pool

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Steer the course, Laddie, you're on the home stretch,,as it were. Apprehension is common, and for once( just kidding) I agree with Chinatown, don't stop now for a silly thing like backing up. You have several things in your favor, you made the choice, spent the money( if that's an issue, and most times, it is), automatics are the future, and by sheer repetition, you'll get used to it. HOWEVER, I can't stress this enough, as an inexperienced driver, you will have to be extra careful, as this is when most problems occur. Check the mirrors, CONSTANTLY,, things can happen fast, and you have to be ready, not texting the missus on what's for dinner. In my day, people like you wouldn't have had a prayer in the trucking business, but today, and I mean no disrespect, trucking has been simplified, that people who never cranked dolly legs up, can have a job, and we need you more than ever. You'll be fine, just think if you had to drive this!! ( and we did and were just glad to have a job)

Boondock and pumpkinishere Thank this.
  7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    When you first learned to drive a car. Did you feel comfortable? Probably not. It takes patience.

Boondock, JolliRoger, Numb and 2 others Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I sure did feel comfortable. At 9 years old, I drove up and down the driveway. Having a go-kart helped too. I knew that's what I wanted to do for a job.

9. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I only worry when i drive on one lane road in the middle of nowhere somewhere in Nebraska with heavy side wind and my truck want to flip after i meet oncoming truck and my visor flexing that bad that every time it happens i am sure it should be long gone :) :)
    ... But i love passing ... Especially 4 wheeler in the heavy( i mean real heavy) rain that when you pass the 4 wheeler and wave of water goes over the car they feel just like cruise liner passed by

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Boondock, pumpkinishere and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Just think, it could be worse.

It won’t be the first time if you mess up, but strive to pay attention and not let any of these be you.

Good Luck in your future endeavors.
    9DC5BDC0-F8E6-4218-B44B-398B63F923D0.gif
    E8EB6F79-42B3-48CF-9E1D-CD35AE419FF2.gif
    AFE91937-BC79-4C62-929E-FC648393AB20.jpeg
    F6675B5D-4C09-4FA1-A939-D6F453DD42AD.jpeg E27C33B1-1DA9-440C-B0C8-C4819B255065.jpeg C0724E7B-D117-41DA-843A-41B1B3396CD7.jpeg 9D0816DC-030E-4491-B6F4-4CC6C0B9FFBD.jpeg

11. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    Yeah you’re already this far, give it 6 months and then look at your Situation again. I’m sure a lot will change.

If you need to gain some confidence just go to your local truck stop and look how many imbeciles there are . If they can do it so can you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.