Stolen Valor

Discussion in 'Truckers' Photo Shack | Art Gallery' started by TAYG, Sep 13, 2019.

1. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    So if I worked for Navajo will I get a feather for being a veteran? But since I’m not an Indian will I be considered stolen valor? I need to know before I apply there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    no feathers for you

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree

a jar of peanut butter, solves all of life's mysteries..

Vampire and Sirscrapntruckalot Thank this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    A lot of tribes got along quite well with other tribes. They traded with each other and sometimes inter-married with neighboring tribes.
    They also got along well with each other when they were threatened, Custer's Last Stand saw the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho tribes combining forces to fight against what they considered a threat to their way of life.

6. TankerP

Oct 1, 2010
    They had no choice but to team up. They were forced into the reservation. The Battle of Little Bighorn happened in the 1800’s after the influence of the white man had already taken hold. For all intents and purposes, the Indians have already been “civilized”. By this time the Indians in the South and Southeast were dressed in western wear, believed in Jesus and some were even owners of black slaves.
    My history goes way before that. Before white people landed. Before the myth and the romance took hold in the American psyche. Native Americans did not have the wheel, they did not have horses, they did not farm, and they did not read or write, and they were in constant conflict with each other.
    I’m sorry if I’ve offended people here but it is what it is.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    That's okay, I'm not offended by your beliefs. Many people, like yourself, have no real first hand knowledge of Native American issues. It's not necessarily your fault that you're poorly informed.
    I'm used to dealing with people who have attitudes like yours. You're a product of what you've chosen to believe. There isn't anything I can do about that and I see no reason for me to be angry about it.
    I don't know much about the southern and eastern tribes but I'm fairly well versed on the tribes from the plains states and those who lived west of the Rockies.
    The cultures of the tribes in the east and south were very different from the Native Americans who lived in the west.

If you want some good reading on Native American history and issues read "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown. It's the most even-handed treatment of the subject I've ever read.

x1Heavy and gentleroger Thank this.
  8. Midlife Trucker

Midlife Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    Just imagine what this continent would look like if the Native Americans had a strong Department of Defense and a better Immigration Policy.

If the chief had said, “Burn the ships and kill the white men.” Back in Europe they would have thought Columbus was wrong, the works was flat.

tucker Thanks this.
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I liken it to Ireland in the time of Strongbow.

Many tribes with long, interconnected history. They both had a very developed culture with a strong economy. That culture was different than European, in some ways superior in others not so much.

Ireland had better goldsmiths and better libraries (among other things) but England had better armour and tactics. England successfully played the different tribes off against each other, and took advantage of cultural misunderstandings to hoodwink the Irish into agreements. Had the Irish been able to stand together England would not have stood a chance, but after every unifying moment, different optinions on the way forward or old grievances would scuttle coalition, leaving them vulnerable.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  10. TankerP

Oct 1, 2010
    Was everything I said on post #15 a lie? Was part of it a lie?

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    How are Native American's treated these days on your side of the border?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.