Strawberries

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by MUSTANGGT, Jan 4, 2011.

1. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Part one of a continuing series.

Ricky hauled food for a living. Oranges and melons from Florida. Peaches from South Carolina and apples from Washington.

Today he had fresh strawberries from Watkinsville, California in his refrigerated trailer. This was a prime load that would would pay him over six thousand dollars. Strawberries only shipped during a limited season and competition for the business was fierce. This was his first load with a new broker and he hoped to make a good impression, in hopes of perhaps getting another load of the berries after he delivered these.

But there was a reason these loads paid so well. The temperature of the fruit had to be strictly maintained to avoid freezer burn or the product becoming over ripe.. And to say it was time sensitive would be an understatement. Ricky had just over forty-eight hours to be at the Farmers Market in Forest Park, Georgia, near Atlanta.

It was certainly doable, if not routine for a certain breed of drivers. Ricky knew he was abusing his body running this hard. At thirty-two years old, Ricky had the rugged good looks of a man who made his living outdoors. At just under six feet tall, his size thirty-four jeans were slightly loose on his hips and he wore a perpetual tan due to his affinity for travelling the southern half of the country.

But the thousand mile days, sleepless nights and a one time meth habit that lasted a few years too long was taking it's toll. Gray was creeping in at the temples, mostly disguised by his naturally blonde hair, and lines were forming from the corners of his eyes that befitted one fifteen years his senior. He knew he could not turn back the clock and he vowed to slow down soon.

The sun was visible in the east as Ricky cleared the Arizona Port of Entry. It was always a relief to be out of California and their infernal fifty-five speed limit. He had the big Peterbilt wrapped up to seventy-five when he shifted in to the final gear. Let it roll on out to about ninety. Traffic was light in the desert and he would soon create or be a part of a makeshift convoy.

As he approached the long, steep grade on the west side of Flagstaff, a familiar voice crackled over the CB radio.

"Hey, Mustang! What's going on, hero?" said his longtime friend, Glider, from down in Savannah, Georgia.

"Same old stuff, buddy. Gotta have my butt in the big A by 0600 Monday morning."

"I hear ya brother. Listen here, about halfway up the mountain, you're gonna see a broke down Honda Accord with a very upset, but very beautiful driver standing in front of it. Figured you might wanna uphold your image. You know, Shining Knight of the Highway, Southern Gentleman, that sort of thing."

"I hear ya buddy, but I know you're a stud too. Just hammer down back to the state line. Maybe catch ya back around the house one of these days."

As his friend rolled out of radio range, Ricky got a glimpse of the disabled car up around the curve, hood raised, and smoke rising from the engine compartment.

Getting closer, it became clear his buddy was indeed correct in his assessment of the automobile's unfortunate driver.

bowtieboy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    The combination of the heavy load and steep mountain grade already had his speed down below forty miles per hour, and it didn't take much to stop. The biggest worry would be to get rolling again.

The young lady felt a twinge of apprehension when she saw the Georgia tag on the back of the trailer. This was her first trip away from home and her grouchy old uncle, who was vehemently opposed to the trip anyway, warned her against socializing with any ignorant hillbillies from the southeast.

Her fear all but dissolved when the lanky, blonde driver appeared from around the side of the trailer. A sleeveless Atlanta Falcons T-shirt hung outside his faded jeans. USMC SEMPER FI was tattooed on one arm and a flying guitar on the other. His face reminded her of a younger version of her grandmothers movie idol, Robert Redford. His tanned skin crinkled around his soft blue eyes and there was the slightest bit of gray in the two day stubble on his chin. Ricky stopped a polite distance from her, aware that she may be feeling vulnerable stranded out in the desert.

"Howdy, maam. Looks like you have some trouble here. Name's Ricky, by the way."

"Yes, sir. Thank-you for stopping. My name is Esmeralda." she answered as she extended her hand. "But my friends call me Joey. Short for Josephine, which is my middle name, plus I've always been kind of a tom boy."

Tom boy my butt, Ricky thought as he tried not to stare into the emerald green eyes that so suited her name. And her hair. He was mesmerized by her dark mane. Thick and dark with faint natural red highlights that put the icing on the cake. He wanted to bury his face in it. Then he noticed her body. A thin sheen of sweat had formed across her bosom and her upper lip as well, accented by the sun, now fully over the mountain.

She was explaining how she bought the piece of junk car from her cousin, Manuel, and how he wouldn't answer his phone and she was going to Miami and Ricky barely heard a word she said.

Ricky agreed with her decision to just abandon he ###### thing. Especially after he checked the oil, only to discover there no longer was any.

"I hate to impose, but do you suppose I could ride with you?" Joey asked shyly.

bowtieboy Thanks this.
  4. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Ricky could barely contain his excitement. "I'd be delighted, Joey."

Once inside the cab, Ricky stepped back into the sleeper compartment to get some bottled water for each of them from his built in refrigerator.

As he turned to exit back to the front, he collided with Joey, who was entering from the drivers compartment. A bottle of water in each hand kept him from instinctively putting his palms up to avoid a collision. The backs of his knuckles brushed her chest and he locked in on her hypnotic green eyes as she turned her head up to face him. He became aware of her scent. A faint, but unmistakeable aroma of vanilla mingled with hair product. Herbal shampoo, he supposed. The combination was intoxicating and Ricky was overcome with desire.
    "Oh, sorry to be rude. I've never been inside a big rig before and I just wanted to look around. I should have asked you first." Joey said in apology.

"Oh, no. It's fine. Feel free to look around. There is the bed, fridge, microwave, closet..." He stammered, feeling goofy about standing there holding the water bottles.

"Wow, this is so cool. Like a little apartment. You could live here."

"Well, I do, more or less. I mean, I have a house at home, but...you know." He stumbled, finding coherent speech difficult.

Joey giggled, sensing his nervousness and leaning into his chest. He set the water bottles on a nearby shelf, draped his arms around her shoulders and pulled her close. His chin met the top of her head making it easy for him to lean down and do what he wanted from the minute he first saw her. He buried his face in her hair and inhaled deeply.

Joey slid her hands into the back of his jeans, digging her nails in ever so slightly, causing Ricky to groan softly. He lifted his face from her head and tilted her head back with a gentle tug of her hair. She looked up expectantly as he kissed her, gently at first, then more fervently.

"Didn't your mama warn you about accepting rides from strangers?" Ricky asked, voice husky with desire.

"No, but my tio warned me about you southern boys. But I always thought he was full of it, anyway." Joey replied.

"Maybe your uncle knows more than you think." He said. Before she could reply, there came a knocking at the door.

"What the hell?" He exclaimed. Then he remembered where he was when he saw the flashing blue lights in front of his truck.

bowtieboy Thanks this.
  5. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Oh crap, not now.

Ricky gently pulled away from Joey, as much as it pained him to do so. In response to her inquisitive look, he told her, "Cop outside, baby. I gotta talk to him. He's not going away. Just stay back here and don't make a peep."

The frustrated trucker proceeded up to the driver's chair. The Arizona Highway Patrolman had already climbed up on the step and was peering in. Ricky hit the switch to lower the window as he flopped down in his seat.

"Problem here? I hope you have a reason for being parked on the shoulder. Not very safe, you know," said the trooper, friendly enough.

"No, sir, not any more. Got running a little hot pulling the grade and had to shut 'er down, let 'er cool a bit. I would have pulled over back there where it was wider, but that car was in the way. Had to make my way around it."

"Well, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. Did you see anybody in or around the vehicle when you got here?" the officer asked.

"No, sir, not a soul. Why do you ask?" Ricky asked.

"Well, I just called in the tag number, and that car has been reported stolen out of Fresno, California. They think it may be tied in to a store robbery out there. Some people got hurt bad. Shot for no reason. Some bad hombres, I'm told. Best thing for you to do is to keep moving. Not much further to the top."

"Yes, sir. I think she's cooled down enough, now."

"Good deal. And if you see or hear anything, please give us a call. And whatever you do, please don't approach these folks," the trooper said as he handed Ricky a business card.

"Yes, sir, be glad to," Ricky said, relieved that the trooper didn't want to snoop around in his rig. Sensing Joey stirring around in the sleeper, he told her to stay back there for a while, until the officer was well out of sight.

bowtieboy Thanks this.
  6. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    THATS the most reading I have done in 38 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, WHAT HAPPENED?????? Cmon,Cmon,Cmon...............:biggrin_25511:

7. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    When he finally gave her the OK to come up front, she asked him, "Why did you lie to that cop?"

"Never mind that, I'm asking the questions. Now, you want to tell me the truth about that car? And what the hell you are involved in?" Ricky asked, with some edge to his voice.

"It's like I told you before. I bought it from my cousin, Manuel. I thought the price was awfully cheap, but I figured he was hard up for some cash. He is such a loser. I have heard he has been hanging out with some vato locos lately."

"Do you think he could have been involved in an armed robbery?" Ricky asked quietly.

Joey thought a moment before answering. "Not really. He's not that brave. Crazy and stupid, but he doesn't have the cajones for something like that. But he could be involved somehow."

"Maybe he owed a debt and they had him get rid of the car that was used in the crime, and the dummy sold it to his own cousin?" Ricky speculated.

"Now that could be entirely possible. That he is capable of. Now let me ask you again, why did you lie to that cop? You don't even know me," Joey said, making contact with those emerald eyes that just melted Ricky's heart.

"I don't know exactly, but the situation just felt wrong. I knew pretty quick that you were a sweet, intelligent lady and anybody, especially a blood relative, that sold you that piece of junk, had to be a total scumbag. Even if that wasn't the case, the state would have the car towed off the interstate and charged you bigtime. But that would have been the least of your worries now. Your beautiful butt would be in hand cuffs by now, and not the fun kind either."

"I will kill that pendejo, I swear," Joey said angrily.

"If you don't want to get your hands dirty, here's the place to call," Ricky said as he handed her the business card. "But remember, your prints are all over that car. If he coughs up your name, it could get messy. I would just let it go. He will meet his end soon enough, hanging with those guys."

"I suppose you are right.You kinda talk like a cop yourself. Are you sure you are just an ordinary truck driver?" Joey asked, as she put her hand on his thigh.

"Yes, maam, I promise. Just a shy country boy is all," he answered with a twinkle in his eye. "Not my business, but what are your plans for Miami?"

"Working for my cousin, Hector," she said with some amount of pride. "My good cousin. He owns a successful advertising agency called Montoya Ad Specialties. I am majoring in public relations at Cal State, but the money ran out, and I don't want to borrow. Hector suggested I work part time and finish my schooling down there. Pay as I go. He and his wife have a beautiful house in West Palm Beach. It all sounds so nice. I am excited, and after this deal with Manuel, I think I made the right choice."

"Sounds like a plan sweetie, but we're not out of the woods yet. If that Arizona trooper was the least bit suspicious, he wouldn't have let on to me. All he has to do is call ahead to the Port of Entry at the New Mexico border. We will know soon enough."

"I think we will be fine country boy. I feel safe with you."

bowtieboy Thanks this.
  8. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    And then ........?

9. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    This is worse than when my teen-age girlfriend used to tease me.,:biggrin_25513: Um,for the record,I ALSO was a teen-ager..:biggrin_25525:

10. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    Houck EXIT 348 read the road sign. About ten miles to the state line, and only a few more to the New Mexico Port of Entry, just west of Gallup. Ricky debated on stashing Joey in the sleeper, but decided against it. If they had a description of his truck and wanted to talk to him, it wouldn't matter if she was visible or not. He decided to play it casual, just another happy couple riding across the country.

Joey was sitting crossways in her seat, feet between the seats, with knees resting against Ricky's thigh, close enough for him to detect the vanilla scent he loved so well. He couldn't keep his mind off the near encounter earlier in the sleeper when they were interrupted by the cop. He knew he needed to focus on his job, but he was giddy with excitement inside, despite his cool exterior.

"Time for you to sit up straight and buckle up, sweetie." Ricky said. "Check point ahead. Usually no big deal."

"What do I say if they ask me anything?" Joey asked.

"Just tell the truth. Usually the easiest way. You broke down, and I gave you a ride. We haven't done anything wrong. That car can only be traced backed to it's original owner, unless an eyewitness remembers seeing your cousin behind the wheel, and if he admitted selling the car to you. It would be a stretch to tie you with anything. And even if they did, it would all be circumstantial, after the fact stuff." Ricky told her.

"Now you are talking like a lawyer. Are you sure you are just a regular truck driver?" Joey asked, with mock skepticism.

"Not just a regular truck driver. I possess super abilities."

"Oh really? Like Spiderman? Or the Hulk maybe?" she teased. "And when do I get to see these super abilities?"

"That's a good question, sweetie." he said, as he passed her his road atlas. "Look at page twenty-eight. I have to be there before daylight Monday morning and Saturday is almost half over."

"Jeez." Joey replied. "I havent't traveled very much in my life, but that seems like an awfully long distance. I hadn't planned on being in Miami until Friday. Why do you have to be there so soon?"

"I reckon so folks can be dipping their strawberries in melted chocolate for a sexy dessert Monday evening."

"Sounds good to me country boy." Joey said as she pulled a calculator from the console. After looking at the atlas and doing some quick calculations, she emitted a low whistle. "Wow. I see what you mean. But if my calculations are correct, we can find time for a little sexy dessert of our own. The way I see it, you would be getting precious little sleep anyway, so why not relax in a different way? Who knows, it could even perk you up."

bowtieboy Thanks this.
  11. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    ####,DamnDamnDamnDamnand ####,I gotta leave till tomorrow.......................................................................................................:biggrin_25510: If this is gonna be a movie.,what will the rating be I wonder??:biggrin_255:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.