Stressful loads

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Chebbydriver7195, Mar 10, 2019.

1. LoSt_AgAiN

LoSt_AgAiN Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Communication is everything.

Lepton1, Woodys and Tombstone69 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    If they fire you for being cautious in bad weather, you don't want to work for them anyway. I know how you feel driver but as you get more and more experienced, you'll find that a lot of delivery times aren't realistic, especially in bad weather. Cover your 6 and don't sweat the small stuff. A relaxed driver is a safe driver.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You won't ever get fired for shutting down in bad weather. Like Mr Ridgeline said, you're the captain of the ship. The captain can't control the weather. His primary concern is the safety of the ship. You made the decision to stop, now stick with it. Don't second guess yourself.

"But Six, they're stressing me about this load...."

Only because you allow it. If they keep blowing your phone up (they'd better not blow up my phone), offer to repower the load. Go have a nice dinner. Check the weather, make your plans, and get some sleep.

Luck in battle.

Lepton1, TravR1, Woodys and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    Stop stressing. I always say I am no hero. If I am shut down due to weather or given an impossible time schedule I just talk to dispatch. I can’t make miracles happen...
    My trainer used to say ‘It’s just French fries, they will get there when it’s safe’

x1Heavy, TripleSix and Woodys Thank this.
  6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    You could always turn the phone off, unplug the black box, and enjoy life.

They sent you into bad weather. You shut down because it isn't safe to run. It's THEIR problem. THEY made the commitment to have the load there, likely knowing there is bad weather. Yeah, they may call and scream and yell, but suppose you push on through and wind up in a ditch. Do you really think the clown on the other end of the phone is going to care? I'd hazard a guess and say they could care less about you.

$500 gross a week? I'm guessing you're new, and with a big training outfit (swift, Stevens, CR England, etc). Finish out your contract if you have one and get the heck outta there. Find greener pastures

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    1st thing I woulda said when they got an attitude is "how late would putting it in a ditch make me?" Can't control the weather or shutting down because of a fatality. I have never had a customer ever say booo about rescheduling because of uncontrollable circumstances.

Bean Jr. and ncmickey Thank this.
  8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

But what about toilet paper??:biggrin_25523:

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    All you can do is all you can do. No use getting stressed about the weather and other things you can’t control. Just do the best job you can when it comes to what you can control. The office may gripe but at the end of the day they will either get over it or they won’t.

LoSt_AgAiN and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Dispatch is nortoriously driven to excess to make sure all trucks make money every hour of every day. Nothing is allowed to be a valid excuse to be late or whatever. Unfortunately it leads to a conflict.

If you are out of hours or done for the day you must not move a inch if you are ordered to by dispatcher. They are the ones with the problem not you. All you can do is drive. And communicate to them that you are going to need a new appointment time due to fatal accident or due to weather conditions that is beyond your control. If they routed you into a storm? Tell them you are going to be delayed by the weather up there and need a different routing OR a new appointment date and time.

ALWAYS circle the conversation back to that. Ive found that dispatchers hate it when they yell and scream at me on the phone (Use qualcomm instead so it's documented) and I reply "Thats all well and good, you still have not issued a new appointment that this now late load requires of you."

They usually have a meltdown. But you will get your appt time updated.

Some of your posts indicate a fear of losing job. Don't. If your company is so bad and abusive as to actually create a situation where you are actually fired or abused etc until quit. Document everything for your home state. Ive done that in the past and was successful against several companies back in the day after the problems.

The load will get there when it gets there. A thousand dispatchers yelling at you like furies wont change that. Once you relax and leave all that drama to noise and disregard it, you can focus on your work with less stress.

Tombstone69, Lepton1 and ncmickey Thank this.
  11. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Next time they give you a hard time just tell them you don’t feel you can safely get the load there on time and that you’re going to contact safety and let them know as well. Take control of your truck.

12. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    what terrible weather, it has been sunny, clear and 50 degrees up here.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.