Stubborn GPS`s

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Linte_Loco, May 25, 2021.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I just zoom in to the spot and tap where I want to go. Tap may not be the right word, it's more of a long press on the screen and the option to go there will pop up.

This also works great if you want to edit your route to avoid a certain area.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    If these weren't Loves that have been there for years I would agree with you. The one in Bordentown NJ it just refuses to show. I have to navigate to the Petro down the street. You drive past the Loves to get to the Petro so I'm not sure what the issue is.

It also wouldn't show the Loves in West Memphis AR. Even when I was actually in the parking lot it wouldn't navigate there. Tried from the Walmart a couple miles away too.

Lucky12 and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I've done the edit route stuff, although it didn't seem to stay on the route I chose and tried to route me back to its original route.
    I just played with it and found how you can pick a spot and route to it. But, wasn't able to figure out how to add that spot to saved places (yet).

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  5. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    When you pick a spot and the little blue flag pops up the actual address shows up on bottom of the screen. Tap the address (at bottom of screen) and you will get a save option.

The other way to do it is to wait till you get there then save current location. I do that when the actual truck entrance is around the block etc from the main address. I wait till I get to the truck entrance and save that location.

Friend, Linte_Loco and Six9GS Thank this.
  6. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I've just about had it with my company gps. Today I spent nearly an hour getting to pickup. First, the exit the thing said to take was blocked by a broke down truck. That wasn't the gadgets fault but I spent a half hour finding a re route because the neighborhood was hemmed in by truck restrictive streets. When I finally found the address, I found myself looking at a block of apartments. I went to my navigator on my phone and got to the site after another half hour.

Last week it sent me to locations a mile or more from the sites three or four times. Also last week it directed me to ten mile stretch of narrow, twist and turning canyon road in Ohio. Just as I turned on the snake of a highway, I saw a sign saying "Not suitable for large trucks" it was too late to turn back. I fired off a message to dispatch telling them that I don't want to blow my own horn, but a less experienced driver then me would have been in trouble.

The company harps on using company gps only. The threaten all kinds of dire things if you get in a scrape because you were following Garmin or verizon navigator or anything else. From now on, I'm going to use their toy only for getting to the ballpark. I'm going to have the destination in my own and follow that for the last couple of miles.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  7. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Well, my company doesn't insist you take the route they give you. At least they haven't done that to me. But, I was a cartographer for over 20 years before I was a driver. So, I kinda got no excuse for not being able to route myself. They do keep track of extra 'out of route milage' but so far never fussed at me.
    When I first started and I wanted to take a different route than the one given, I'd call them up and make my case for it. Never got turned down and it's developed to where if the route I want adds less than 5% to the route, I don't even bother conferring with them. If it's less than 10% extra miles, I let them know so,they can add in the milage to my route. If I want a route that adds more than 10% to the route, I gotta call and have to have a good justifiable reason. So far I've always made a good enough case to get my chosen route. But, there are times when I know I really don't have enough justification for the extra miles, so I take the route provided, even though I'd prefer a different one.

Flashdrive7 and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  8. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I go off route often. I look for an easier way. Sometimes a few miles longer. I've developed a rapport with my dispatcher. I'm like "He's good. He can do whatever he wants as long as he's on time"

Linte_Loco and alds Thank this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Never had a problem with copilot.

RM on the other hand.

But I haven't used since I got a local job 5 years ago. And there's a new company owning it now. Or it switched names.

10. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    All Rand McNally maps are a couple years out of date, and I am pretty sure the I10 / I8 area near Phoenix has seen recent construction.

If you are using a Rand GPS with the craptastic new Rand 2.0 map routing, it has a couple truly stupid features.

First, if you choose to look at alternate routes and choose one, but go even a little out of route, then return to route, the device will default back to the primary route and ignore the alternate route you chose.

Second, if you manually ignore the routing because you know the route you want, Rand will keep trying to tard you back to the primary route it wants you to take until you manually accept the pop-up for alternate routing. If you let the alternate routing option pop-up time out, it will just continue to send you back to the tard route it thinks you should have taken.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  11. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    My Garmin is missing several loves that have been there for years

Farmerbob1, Redtwin and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.