super 10 vs. straight 10

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by dalejr8fan, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm a student and just drove a super 10 for the first time today and I thought it was a lot easier than the straight 10. It was fairly easy to firuge out what gear you're in if you're being consistant with where you keep your selector. If I had to chose between the 2, I'd drive the super 10.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. larsonkc

larsonkc Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Fairview, Oregon
    I drove one the other day and got lost in my gears... the mechanic for the company was test driving me and I couldn't figure out what gear I was in... They are hard to shift if you don't know how to do it correctly....

4. Rhino656

Rhino656 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I believe my DT had a super 10, but I called it a 10 with low low. Perhaps it is the same, do not know, but it had front splitter up down and a side sw. front and back. I liked it.

Rhino

5. Fast_Forward

Fast_Forward Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Paducah,ky
    I hate a super ten. I have been driving straight ten's for years and I started with this company 2 1/2 months ago and they have super 10's. I have done over 20k in this truck and I hate it. I get lost, the rpm range is all off. How you figure that its less clutching? Are you double clutching? LMAO. Guess Im old school, i float. Have been since 95' . I hate it so much that I am thinking about changing companies, Its not the only reason but 80% of it. Oh BTW i drive a 04 T800. Even if it had a straight 10 I would still hate this truck. Poor design for someone that is 6'3. For me to have my legs confortable i cant reach anything on my dash. At least it dont have air wipers !

6. ptrbelt

ptrbelt Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Moorland, ia
    A super ten could be considered a 5 speed where each gear has a high and low. Each gear is split wheras a straignt ten is split to the high side after reaching 5th

7. ptrbelt

ptrbelt Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Moorland, ia
    Most guys who hate the super tens probably don't like how much they fall off when using the button . A lot of drivers don't know that for quicker shifts like when pulling a heavy load or steep grade pushing the clutch half way after shifting the button will give a quicker shift, by at least100 rpm

8. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    If you are going to waste money on a super-10, why not get a 13 speed instead? I think the super-10 is a joke. You have to run with your jake brake on the first level to get the rpms down quick enough to shift. Yes, they want you to progressive shift now. Get that tranny in high gear as soon as you can.

9. Maxxdad

Maxxdad Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Roanoke, Virginia
    So correct me if I didn't get it. It's not split Low 5, then High 5, each gear is split. 1L2H
    3L4H etc.?

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

Speaking of 13 speed, can someone explain those transmissions? Are there two splitters? Like, one in front like straight ten and one on the side like super ten? Is it a 12 speed, they call it 13 including the granny like 9 speed (8 +granny)? Do you do 5 on the floor then split up to get the 6-13 like all the uppers like 6 split 7, 8 split 9, 10 split 11, 12 split 13 like that with the side splitter?

11. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    you go thru your first 5 then lift button on front of stick to go into hi range
    now when you are in 6th you can split it lo to hi with red button side--and do that for each gear
    1st is fairly low so i dont usually use it at all unless taking off in mud or snow--

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.