Surprise at night.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Trucking in Tennessee, Aug 24, 2020.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Almost happened to me this morning. You'd think the dumb #### would have realized his lights were off when he couldn't read the speedometer in the dark. People are braindead these days.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Well, it sure looks like the driver was overdriving his headlights, if not outright speeding.

Anyone on the oncoming side give a hollar on the CB about the lightless truck?

Driver in the accident vehicle even HAVE a CB to hear such a warning?

Driver of the flatbed even THINK about pulling over and setting out triangles, as already mentioned?

Scary $#!^.

Bud A., D.Tibbitt, Hulld and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Some of these new cars the instrument panels are actually let up regardless of lights

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    No reason to stop in the middle of the road even if the truck looses all power and just shuts down right on the spot. You can coast onto the shoulder.

Unless maybe you are climbing a 6% grade only doing 15mph when it shuts down.

6. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Bud A., mjd4277, Lumper Humper and 4 others Thank this.
  7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Maybe it had truck lights, but the pigtail came out. I have seen several of the bottom feeder mega's driving down the road with no trailer lights on at all...and they don't train their drivers to look in the mirrors anymore to see if there is an issue.

Bud A., D.Tibbitt, mjd4277 and 6 others Thank this.
  8. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    That is quite scary.
    Sometimes can predict things like this by seeing other lights vanish and reappear, but doesn't seem to be the case here.

But...dashcams don't see at night as easily as people. And they will dim the overall picture so a bright light shining at them (such as headlights) is reduced to an acceptible level for the sensor and video. Sorta makes me wonder if fatigue or distraction caused a delayed reaction.

However the human eye can do the same thing. Light shining in your face, you wont see what is right behind it.

Bud A., mjd4277, LoSt_AgAiN and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Wait. There are rear view mirrors? I wasn't told that.

10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You caught me. One early morning I left at 2 AM. Truck was fine so I headed on down the road. About 5 miles down the road some guy in the CB told me I had no trailer lights. I was lucky and there was an exit very close. So I pulled off and looked at the harness going into the trailer and it was tight. I wiggled it and no lights. I went back and got some WD-40 and sprayed the plug. Nothing. So I called dispatch and told them I had no lights. The guy came in about 30 minutes and said you didn't check the back of the cab did you? Right then the light went on in my head. I shamefully said no. He said that was the problem. He was a nice guy and wrote it up as something else. Really stupid, but I never made the same mistake again.

Yours truly,
    Bottom Feeder

11. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    They graduated from a swift academy

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.