swift driver chaining up

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by eddennis1, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I have no trouble listening to those with the experience behind them. As long as their advice is not preceeded by an attack. I kind of shut down and lose interest when my team mates are deliberately ridiculed and insulted. It's the same thing as belittling me by proxy, whether it is intended that way or not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Nevertheless... I have SEEN trucks on passes in Colorado in really bad weather with chains on steers. I also stand by the remark that CA required one of our guys to chain all 5 axles going over Donner in the last two weeks. Take it or leave it - I'm done with arguing with you guys - this is pointless.

4. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    If this had been your original comment on chaining steer tires you wouldn't have got so much flack. As I posted before~ I have done it.

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    It used to be part of state law, and as far as I know it still is. Don't really care to pour through the CRS on the web to find out... enjoying the drubbing the Bears gave the Jets too much to spoil it. If its been taken off of the books, so much the better - never liked having my steer axle chained anyway.

6. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    Not comin on here to quote regs and such, just a little expirience.

Last winter delivered feed to hog sites in the country. Hours were 1800 to 600. As you will remember it snowed alot in Iowa last winter so every night there was some sort of weather to deal with. I became very familiar with tire chains. I know this was done a lot on gravel but most of the time had drives, 1 steer, and 1 trailer tire chained. I got pretty quick at it and it sure as hell saved having to be pulled from a ditch. On paved roads not so sure if steer is/should be required. This is a yellow shoe contest that could go on forever.:biggrin_25512:

7. bbqhoncho

bbqhoncho Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2010
    north tonawanda, NY
    I wonder, did anyone tell him that he needs to take the summer air out and replace it with winter air in the tires or the chains will not fit.

I worked at CF till it closed, They had a class every yr for everyone City, Road, n Yard, at ABF they didn't

8. bbqhoncho

bbqhoncho Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2010
    north tonawanda, NY
    Agreed, But if your doin 65 and lookin in your rear, It's to late to tell him.
    How can someone drive something that they don't know how it works.
    Just sayin,,

9. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    Or... they are drivers with tons of experience. Your info says you have three years. Might not be a bad idea to quit arguing with those that have been driving trucks since before you were pushing one across the living room rug.

No offense, of course.

7122894003481 Thanks this.
  10. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    aaaAHH winter :biggrin_25519:

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. flatout99

flatout99 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2011
    greeley,colorado
    I may be a newbie to the forum, but not to the hills of Colorado! Never have I seen a chain law enforcing steer chains. EVER! Nor drag links or trailer chains! Does it make it a bad idea? NO! If you don't feel safe, throw more iron! Who cares who snickers, if you make it home in one frozen piece isn't that what counts? I've helped more rookies throw chains than I can count. I've chained trucks for people to stupid to learn. Why? Because it's about safety and getting home! I run here year round, it's my lane, and the CDOT can be late to call chain law and late to remove it! When it comes down to it, I use MY OWN JUDGMENT! If chains are required, I use em, if they are NOT required...but I feel I need em, I put em on! A $50 dollar bag of chains and my time are not worth more than the life's of people!

I never laugh at the guy with chains on, I laugh and cuss the guy who had not enough sense to use them!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.