Swift has driver arrested.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Owner's Operator, Sep 3, 2008.

1. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I use to work for a flammable hazmat company and the safety director there said he could care less if your were drinking off duty in the truck. Now I feel it should be like this everywhere. However OTR trucking is a lifestyle where the company wants to control everything you do. And you're not supposed to have a life.

I can remember myself at the Flying J in Dallas. That someone told the cop inside the truck stop that I was drinking in the truck. But he didnt bother me. It's no business of mine what another person is doing in the truck next to me or wherever. Drink beer, smoke meth, weed, or crack, or polish the wheels at 2am in 17 degree weather. It is none of my concern or shouldn't be anyone else's.

There was a orenentation I was in where they sent a guy home for saying he wouldn't do anything if he saw a driver drinking in the truck when the safety guy asked him that question. After witch 4 others got up and walked out.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I would’ve walked out too.

haz-matguru Thanks this.
  4. lsnook24

lsnook24 Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Would it be your business if 6 hours later they drove and killed your wife and kids in a wreck?

BackwoodsGA Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Whoever does that will go to jail for a long time on vehicular manslaughter charges at the very least.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    They also treat DUI as a felony. It's not a simple fine like it is in the states. That's why border crossing with a DUI is such a big deal. It's not the DUI per se, its the felony (as Canada sees it) that's the problem.

7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Again, just stay away from the alcohol, (and drugs).
    1)
    This way the fear of any and all punishments, pertaining to alcohol & drugs, becomes non-existent.
    2) Just this alone will remove a LOT of UNNECESSARY pressures, pertaining to the job as a professional truck driver.
    3) If a truck driver struggles with the alcohol (and drug) situation, perhaps the individual truck driver can be transferred to another area of the trucking company, OUTSIDE of actually driving the truck, staying gainfully employed.
    4) One other solution would be this: Have the truck driver, (struggling with the alcohol and/or drug issue), transferred to a contracting company that employs lumpers, to load & unload trucks. From what I understand, lumper companies are quite LENIENT about alcohol & drug use. At least the truck driver would be gainfully employed, while being kept off of the road.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    BackwoodsGA Thanks this.
  8. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    AGREED!Well said.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  9. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    When they say zero alcohol they mean even mouth wash or rubbing alcohol. Just don't drink on the road and you should be fine pretty common sense but I guess if it was common everyone would have right?

When I stayed at a hotel sometimes on my downtime would do whatever I could on that truck you just need to get that trucker mentality dry week or month. No driver should be plaster and behind the wheel.

10. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    AGREED.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  11. Cohiba

Cohiba Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2018
    This is why OTR should pay more. You are at work 24/7 but aren't paid for it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.