Swift hiring process timeline.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dtj12231989, Jan 12, 2019.

1. dtj12231989

dtj12231989 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    North Carolina
    The bus driver just got here. Where. I'm a dang worry wort. :oops:

Farmerbob1 and Truckermania Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    One thing about trucking that everyone needs to learn. Being concerned about timeliness and scheduling is critical, BUT sometimes, fecal matter happens.

When stuff is completely out of your control, you simply cannot worry about it too much, or it will eat you alive.

When stuff out of your control happens BECAUSE you made a poor decision, that's when you should worry.

Example:

Snowstorm shut down the interstate? Shouldn't be a problem, if you tried to get past it safely, but just couldn't.

But, let's say you took a three hour detour and a day off at the house for some nookie, which put you behind that storm front that your driver manager specifically warned you about? You are probably going to need to do some fast talking and/or apologies.

This industry understands unavoidable delays. As a whole, they are not nearly so forgiving about unforced errors.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  4. dtj12231989

Jan 10, 2019
    North Carolina
    Well, I passed my DOT Physical and was certified for one year. WOOOOOOT!!!!!!

Truckermania, Farmerbob1 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. dtj12231989

Jan 10, 2019
    North Carolina
    Well I got some good news and bad news. I passed my CDL permit tests all on the first try. Man I was nervous but I did my best to keep calm and I succeeded. Now, for the bad news. Now I have to actually learn to drive the big rig. Boy, am I nervous now. :confused::oops:o_O

6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    One of the biggest problems many unsuccessful drivers have is that they are afraid to take the room they need to maneuver.

You are 70 feet long. Your trailer axles do not take the same path that your truck axles take.

No matter how you approach a maneuver, you should be thinking about what your trailer will do.

Sometimes you have to use multiple lanes or even go into oncoming traffic lanes to safely make turns. When you find yourself at a turn like that, you MUST have patience. You MUST also take the room you need. You MUST perform any tight maneuvering SAFELY.

In highly congested areas, this might lead to your half-completing a turn before a 4-wheeler decides to plonk themselves in the stupidest possible place, preventing you from completing your maneuver. When that happens, keep your hands on the wheel and just stare at them until they go away. If they refuse to move, then you stay put. Eventually they will get the idea, or a cop will show up.

If they approach you and demand that you move, calmly explain that they are smaller, and can see around themselves better. Some people really do have no clue.

In short:
    1. Do not be afraid to take the room you need BUT do it safely.

2. If a 4-wheeler gets in your way, be calm, collected, and polite. Eventually they will move, or an officer will come along and tell THEM to move.

3. Remember that 1 and 2 are only valid if you are legally allowed to drive where you are trying to go. If you screw up and go somewhere you are not supposed to, immediately get out of there if you can do it safely, without breaking anything or trenching someone's yard. If you cannot safely get out on your own, YOU call police and ask for help, immediately. Do not be afraid to ask law enforcement for help guiding traffic so you can get out of a serious problem. I have personally had to do this a couple times, and as long as you are polite to the officer or officers, and have not actually damaged anything, most of the time they will check your license, then help you get safely out of the mess you got yourself into, and let you go on your way.

7. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Congrats! You will be fine. I was nervous at first too. Biggest advice I can give you is to never, ever get in a rush. If you get in a rush that is when bad things happen. Take your time. Better to get there safely than not at all. Best wishes to you!

Farmerbob1, dunchues and dtj12231989 Thank this.
  8. dtj12231989

Jan 10, 2019
    North Carolina
    I can only agree with you on that. If I start rushing, whether I rush myself or someone else rushes me, I start getting absent minded and forgetful.

9. dtj12231989

Jan 10, 2019
    North Carolina
    This crap is for the birds. I was rejected by US Express because I had disclosed one time pot use in early October 2018. Heck, I even passed the drug test. This is a bunch of bull hockey. I had already passed my CDL permit tests. The school is working to try and get me on with Melton truck lines and if I do, I am gonna have to take this crap all over again. It is rediculous. I'm considering not doing this at all and just going back to how I was before. No money, no way to get anywhere, no job, no place of my own. That is what I am used to and it is appearing like that is what I'm gonna be stuck with.

10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Ouch. Did you try calmly appealing to the supervisor of the person who made the decision?

Refusing someone for one time experimentation even though you passed the drug screen seems drastic. The military doesn't care about experimental use if you test clean, and they give you access to guns.

11. dtj12231989

Jan 10, 2019
    North Carolina
    I don't know who made the decision. And my recruiter said it was company rules. It's a bunch of bull crock if you ask me. I was even being asked by the teachers to help other students study for the CDL permit tests. They did get further after I helped them but didn't quite make it. I think it was testing anxiety for them. Anyway, I'm not sure if this is gonna work out. I'm used to not being able to anything anyways.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.