SWIFT Orientation and Mentor A Diary

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Mr. Green Jeans, Apr 30, 2007.

1. cstrat

cstrat Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Very interesting reading about your time with your mentor. I am currently enrolled in the last class to go through swifts academy in KC MO which is now being closed in a cost cutting move. Must say there is more to it than meets the eye. Have a lot of repsect for drivers who do it safely year after year. Our class started out with a roster of 34 students, after 2 1/2 weeks we are down to 6 remaining. have survived a couple of road training experiences with other student drivers who had no idea what they were doing behind the wheel. Looking forward to getting my cdl exam passed and beginning my own mentoring porgram. Good luck to you mr Green Jeans, you have the patience of Job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MickeyFIN

MickeyFIN Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Turku, Finland
    LOL the Swift t(U)rainer weighs a tad over what I benchpress...

I´m only 5.8 and 190lbs...over here a guy like that Would NEVER qualify as a trainer/mentor or whatever.
    White trash don´t just cut it and thats just what he is...
    GJ I would´ve whipped his ### the first day out.

4. Mr. Green Jeans

Mr. Green Jeans Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Well I am finished with my training

Here is the summary

42 days (1008 Hours)
    Miles driven by me 7,436
    Meals eaten by mentor sitting up 7
    Showers taken by mentor 3
    Gallons of pee mentor made 14
    Gallons of pee made by me 0

Thank GOD I am done with that, did learn to back up fairly well, did not hit anything
    and can alley dock in only 20 or 30 minutes!

Got my first truck, the first one they tried to give me was full of food and bugs, the next one was fairly clean and new a 05 Volvo with 300,000 miles.

Was told that I could not deadhead home (too far) so had to wait 15 hours for a load going close to my home. Got the load went home for 3 days and cleaned and supplied my truck.

First day on the job, sat for 10 hours waiting for a load, get a load and then only had 12 hours to drive 1047 miles. They said that is ok so off I go. Halfway there the computer goes out in the truck and I don’t have any gauges, no speedometer, tach, etc.

Take the truck to the shop on Wednesday afternoon and they say they can not even look at it until Monday. So here I sit waiting for the company to decide what to do with my load and me.

So far not impressed with the company, takes very long to assign loads and if you call you can be on hold for an hour or more.

Considering going home and looking for another company or local job. Too bad I don’t have any experience. If any one has any suggestions for driving in the Houston, TX area please let me know

benedict999 Thanks this.
  5. Thumper101

Thumper101 Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Mr. Green Jeans, Gratz on surviving your mentor exp. I really hope you evaluated your mentor honestly and told them he should be taken off the mentor list. They should start running you fairly decent in the next week or two. The biggest thing is for you to be patient and get your 6 months or year under your belt then you can be more selective. You do however have to let your driver manager know you can't survive and can't make anyone any money waiting 10 to 20 hours for a load. He will tell you he knows that, but you can tell him you were just double checking because it seems to happen a lot. As for driving in Houston the best things you can do are have a good city map either on your computer or a paper one, don't go anywhere until you know exactly where you are going. And if you can try to drive late night or early morning, also from about 10AM to 2PM, and use the hell out of your mirrors and take your time, If you survived your trainer you can survive Houston, Good luck out there and keep working on that 6 months there are a couple of good companies that will take you at 6 months.

6. tjgosurf

tjgosurf <strong>New Driver Helper</strong>

Feb 20, 2006

Best post ever.

7. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    Congrats on finishing training. Look into Crete or Roehl to see if they are hiring in your area. Chances are if they start out like that they are not going to get any better. I hope you don't have to suffer with Swift long.

8. tjgosurf

tjgosurf <strong>New Driver Helper</strong>

Feb 20, 2006
    Crete is claiming .38cpm, and every one of their drivers are happy with them.

9. BookWench

BookWench Bobtail Member

May 22, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    Mr. Green Jeans -

First of all, congrats on what you have accomplished.

Second, if you are still at the Houston Terminal, first bit of advice - get your Toll Pass now! My son is based out of the Houston terminal as well. They didn't give him his pass in advance, he got his truck in 9 weeks ago. He will be hitting the terminal either before or after his next home time (13-15 July) to get his. One guess what sort of highways he got sent out on this week. $$$ Oklahoma won't accept your company card either. Cash out of your pocket that you will have to file with Swift for re-embursement.

As for getting loads. You call in FREQUENTLY. Squeaky wheel gets the oil (and out of dispatch's hair). :biggrin_25525:

Where are you home based out of? We are in San Antonio.

10. Rocket

Rocket Guest

You forgot to list your stats on showers and meals eaten sitting up. LOL

11. goldwing daddy

goldwing daddy Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Stuart,Florida
    I think I woulda paid to take him to the truck wash as big as he is and the amount of "geasy dirt" that has accumalated.Also ask for a wax,mighta even helped some, lol
    :pottytrain5:

goldwing daddy

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.