Take your time getting on a scale!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CertifiedSweetie, Apr 13, 2012.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Ehh. Guardrails won't keep you on the road either. Look out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Ya know what makes you a better driver? Trying to uncluster this mess w/ the least possible damage. Looks like the guy on the drivers side is applauding.

4. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Not only that, but the weigh panel on the far side is the smallest one, indicating where the steers go.

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    We have a truck scale at our plant to weigh incoming aluminum, and outgoing scrap. There are yellow cement filled steel poles about 4' high running along both sides, about 6' apart.
    Years ago, a North American driver in an International cabover pulling a RoadRailer trailer drove on the scale, and drove off one side. One of the poles took out his battery box, put a hole in the right side fuel tank, and went through the floor into the sleeper. It took the biggest wrecker the local tow company had to pull him free. Left a big diesel fuel mess, too.

6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Can you even imagine what a day in the life of a Swift safety dept manager is like? These people just have to live in fear of that next phone call.

You DID WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Likely followed with "Heck That Aint Nothing wait til I tell you about ........... "

dirtyjerz and scottied67 Thank this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I hate flying j scales,there's absolutely no room for error.Pilot and TA scales are much better.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    yep and wait till that driver sees a negative on his check to pay for the wrecker to get him out.I imagine safety is use to things like this.They probably are the busiest dept there,lol.

9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Those elevated scales are poor design. Cat scales are nice because if you did need to go over the edge for some reason (like going around somebody who 'made' a space for themselves for their 10) to line up your trailer between the yellow paint, no harm no foul.

Yes take your time. I put 'er in Lo gear and creep up there, especially DOT scales. They usually say 3 miles per hour, 1st gear is 5. If they want you to stop it's easy to smooth stop and smooth go again without bouncing their scale. People don't be afraid to use your Lo gear more often! Heavy loaded at the light or stop sign on a slight incline? Start off in Lo and save your tranny.

10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Scale question:

I was fueling at a Pilot a few weeks back, and while I was there, a truck pulled up on the CAT scale slowly, stopped, and set the brakes. The driver fueling next to me yells out "DON'T SET THE BRAKES ON THE SCALE!".

I admit...I've never heard this. I know you don't go too fast on the scale, nor should you brake hard. But setting your brakes?

Anyone care to enlighten me?

11. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I've never heard that and can't think of a good reason.

I know at some scales I have had to open the door and get on the step to reach the call button. I set my brakes then.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.