Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I believe I have mentioned (several times) that moving to another company with a load board is part of my plan. I am not to that stage yet.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    How many miles are on the truck?

4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    A bit over 492k miles currently. I made sure to bring it in still under warrantee for the ABS issues.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I cringe when I read how much you’re paying the Shops. Now you say you’re a Mechanic! How does this not bother you? Solo Driver, You have room for 3 toolboxes on the floor of your bunk. Not only is Crete going to have You broke, Youyrunning the risk of owing them soon for repairs. You’ve already gave their Shop back a considerable amount. You can make a decent living, clearing .90c a mile after fuel. I’ve done it, but not if You’re paying high Shop bills, like You’ve been doing. Its hard to still get the miles You need.And work on the Truck. But it can be done. As You’ve pointed out, the more miles you run, the lower your fixed CPM. Same holds true for variable costs overall, even though more miles = more maintenance. You need to get the repair bills under control. That’s what is killing You now. Add a major unexpected expense that has to be done at a shop, You’re done, or deeper in debt.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Crete no longer touches my truck. I cannot pay them directly, so any repairs I do through them have to come out of my truck-payoff account. They call that 15 cpm they hold back a maintenance account, but if I use it, I have to wait for them to approve work, and cannot later use that money as either an emergency fund, or a truck payoff fund. I will be paying for all but the most expensive repairs directly out of my account, and will let the truck payoff account grow.

Expenses have been annoying, yes, but as I mentioned before, a lot of that has been maintenance deferred by Crete. Those expenses should be reduced now. I think I have caught up with the worst of them.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    What’s the total cpm? $0.03 or $0.05? Minimal maintenance Tires and pm @ 25 k is at least $.0.04 cpm alone.Do you run extended oil intervals? What’s the secret?

8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I guess a lot of luck. I run B service at 25k to 28k miles.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    And I thought I was the King of good Luck! Lol I came in around $0.07 cpm last year. $5900 on 85 k miles. Truck and Trailer, includes a few washes to get the salt off. 19 yr old Truck and 11 yr old Trailer. I’m going to go back 11 yrs from when I bought the Truck. Everything ever done has usually been under $0.10 pm including Trailer. Never kept a Truck this long, I’m curious though what my maintenance costs will be on a 12 yr. average, Truck only, after I OH engine, as I bought it with a fresh OH. I recall saying back in 2000, if a Trucks costing Me more than $0.05 cpm maintenance, it’s time for a new Truck. Lol. Now normal maintenance, not counting repairs is about that much. Anyway, good #s, makes You want to quit while ahead. But never know, maybe You just got a good one. Maybe should keep it. I myself have been surprised with mine lasting so long.As they say, You know what you got.

10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Mine will be paid off in 18 mos. I can see daylight and it feels pretty good. I should be at 425k to 450k miles at that point. Unless the truck starts to nickel and dime me to death, I'm going to milk it for all I can.

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Ok. A bit of an update. No complex information, as I don't feel like collecting all sorts of data more often than once per quarter.

April maintenance expenses were only @ $1250. I would like it to be lower, but that number is fairly decent.

May is already more expensive. I am up to $2200. I also lost two days of driving time due to needing to have a different shop work on my truck for a problem that wasn't properly dealt with while I was on home time.

I will be going to have the truck inspected at the Wilmer terminal tomorrow, for the extended warrantee activation. Currently at @497500 miles.

I am also having some sort of DEF tank level detection issue. The DEF tank is reading full even when it is around half full. Occasionally the DEF system does a partial derate and drops max speed to 55.

So, after Crete does the engine and transmission inspection that they need to do for my extended warrantee, I will be rolling to a different shop to have codes read to see what DEF system component is crapping out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.