Tandems will not slide help

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tmb0507, Jun 21, 2018.

1. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Asphalt trailers don't tandem slide....when brakes fail, we have to improvise, LoL~!
    Try, rinse, repeat...i've pulled boxes too. Hear ya there.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's rare, even on new trailers, for all 4 pins to retract from the button activation. But usually one gentle rock against the trailer brakes will get the troublesome pin(s) to retract and you'll usually hear it.

Always have window down and be straight, and be sure tractor brakes are released before doing and rocking or slides.

And understand there is a lot of mechanical linkage going on under there and sometimes things do break. When this occurs, you're going to have problems getting all pins to work correctly, and you're probably going to have to visit a good shop.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Sometimes you have to back up one time to get a stuck pin to release....

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I have a card that says I"m certified. But It don't matter to me anyways. If i have to adjust my brakes. So be it. It's better then getting in an accident. And the local companies aren't going to send someone your way to adjust for you, either. :)

Bean Jr. and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Some time ago when you were being given a hard time by other TTR's I decided that if your position is valid I'll be defending you where it is possible to do so. I like to engage in conflict, battler or whatever want to call it. Ive gotten pretty careful on my end,

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. Upperdecker313

Upperdecker313 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Ok I know I'm late to the party here but I just heard some information about this situation that I want to see if its true:
    I was told that your automatic slack adjusters can be adjusted just by doing your fan down brake test 4-5 times or once both valves pop out at the same time while doing a brake test. Is this true? Does doing a brake test get your brakes to adjust properly?
    I ask bc I've had the problem of tandems not sliding, pins were retracted and tires were still rolling. Got my automatic slack adjusters manually adjusted and never had a problem again. Someone please answer this

8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    If the slack adjusters are working properly, and the brakes are still in legal spec, you should be able to get them to adjust up by standing good and hard on the brake pedal for a few seconds... You may have to repeat this 3 or 4 times if they are way out of adjustment, but usually once or twice will do the trick. If its just the trailer your concerned about you can use the Johnny bar.

But I still carry a set of wheel chocks for sliding pesky tandem.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  9. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    First off make absolutely sure the pins are pulled. Adjust the brakes so that it will hold. Chock the wheels if you have to.. I've even backed up to a street curb to get it to slide. Something I don't like doing, but If all else fails get rolling about 15 mph and grab the hand brake.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. Upperdecker313

Upperdecker313 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2018
    So it of your trailer brakes are NOT in legal spec, this wont work? But then I guess thats a whole other problem lol
    I'm gonna have to try it next time I have a problem sliding my tandems.

11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Technically it would still work... But if the brake shoes were wore too much it could possibly max out the slack adjuster before the brakes were tight enough to hold while aliding tandem... But if your brakes are to that point it shouldnt be on the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.