Tanker or Refrigerated

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mike2633, Jun 14, 2013.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I wouldnt worry about it. Somebody one day will be searching and come upon this thread and then you will help them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Start looking at what you want to do instead of looking at one company. Companies come and go just like drivers. You can drive any type of truck but the idea is to find the one that benefits you the best. Look at your career and not just now. You'll want more out of a company than just going to a place you know how to get to.

Most tanker companies require experience and I believe you'd be a fool to haul hazmat before you have some experience. Tankers are great once you put some time in. That's a good career path and once you become solid with a good record you become wanted. That's a good goal and something to work for. You'll want to pick a career field you'll know will be around for awhile. LTL is good if you're in the union. Not all are union but the better ones that I have seen are and then they do stay around more than others. Getting specialized in a job is great as long as there is work. Hauling over loads pay great and so do very specialized work. Working for the government pays good and it's more than just driving. You become a federal agent in some cases. There's many jobs that are better than just going to the mega carriers and the only problem is not trying for them. You'll never know unless you try yourself and now is the time to plan.

Sit down and make a career path. Set goals and make them achievable. Where do you want to be in 1,5,10 years and then retirement? What kind of benefits are best? You may not need them now but if you pass someday you might need them and they will not be there. What do you expect out of a company? Home time, mileage, equipment, and any other benefit you like. You company choice my be dependent on pet policies. That's ok if the company meets other goals to that help you. Get a good idea before you commit and make sure you've researched all you can. That can include getting out from the computer and asking. Good luck.

4. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Agreed

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.