Tankers the way to go?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mohtrucker, Oct 22, 2019.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Coming from Wisconsin, milk never paid a lot. And I knew milk haulers that were run ragged. Not sure, but maybe because of farm status, they get around certain regulations. Try and pull a tanker with baffles, big difference, but no milk and most is all local. Not much OTR milk hauling.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Silverking

Silverking Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Edgewater, FL
    Plenty of Otr milk loads. I’m sure most of the food grade tanker companies hire out of Texas. Easy work and mostly nice long hauls.

Mohtrucker Thanks this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I have 23 year pulling dry vans. I switched to tankers 2 years ago. I like many tanker drivers wish we had started tanker sooner. Customers treat you like a responsible adult rather than potential serial killer like with dry van/reefers, IMO. Some tanker companies may insist new hires be 23 years old, due to insurance. Please don't think you can argue companies out of that requirement, if they have it.

slim shady, jon69 and 201 Thank this.
  5. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Seven years pulling tanks. Wasted eleven good years hauling van and reefer junk freight. More pay, more time at home fishing, and virtually no BS.

tscottme and 201 Thank this.
  6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Tankers are the way to go.

meechyaboy and tscottme Thank this.
  7. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I liked tanker because once I knew my customers I could just do my thing on my own schedule.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Kaboom tankers pay good. Skull and crossbones pays well too. 5 million in liability is the killer.

201 Thanks this.
  9. Mohtrucker

Mohtrucker Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Pretty much most of the tanker drivers i manage to talk to say the same thing . You're treated as a professional and not like your part of the flip flop express movement

10. Mohtrucker

Mohtrucker Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Yes I've figured they would require me to be of that age . It's why I'm waiting to get my one year in with this company

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. Chraleple

Chraleple Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    Is there an O/O opportunity in tankers or is the liability and insurance just too expensive for a single truck operation?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.