Team Pay

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chazbro, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    The truck makes .90 cents per mile. Two drivers split the .90 for ALL miles driven, so, each driver gets .45 for all miles driven, whether or not you are driving. A team truck can easily log 24,000 mi/month, that's assuming your co. has the freight. A well oiled machine (truck) running properly, (I know this from experience) can actually shut down nightly for 4 hours ! And believe me, 4 hours of un-interupted sleep feels #### good when you running that beast down the highway from Fresno-Atlanta. The 2 drivers need to get along, and I mean really get along, OK ? Read each others minds, be willing to climb out of bed to help his buddy if necessary. Good $$ is really the only reason to team drive, You will beat yourself up and will look like you're 60 when you turn 40 ! Coffee, cigs and minimal sleep, lots of stress wears out the old body. One side note, if you go for team, make sure your co. has the freight to keep you running ...... Luck to ya'

BennysPennys and JolliRoger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    A good summation of pay. My experience with co driver was about my age, we were both single, had similar interests in money, guns and women.
    Drove 5 on, 1 fuel/break, 5 off, 1 fuel/break. Always tried to one up the other on miles made in shift, but no bigge . If felt bad other punched it on till could get back om sked. 1 year, 1957/58, MS to CA/WA w/Beneke.

BennysPennys and Six9GS Thank this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    My experience now having done both is that solo drivers don't make as much as team drivers, but team drivers aren't making twice as much. So the company probably gets the better deal.

So if you were teaming with your wife or husband, then it's probably still worth it. Otherwise, just be very money hungry, like I was, and kind of still am. But now that I am solo, my checks are still pretty close to being just as large. If you team drive for R&L you probably would make great money consistently, those LTL double trailer outfits. It might be worth the fart smells all day and the endless chatter about how tough they think they are. lol

I have never met so many tough guys in my life, who have never started a fight, but have been in like 100 of them and never lost. Hearing about all of that all day every day made me wonder how what I am doing is so different. I've never started a fight, therefore I have never been in one. I must just be very lucky.

BennysPennys and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  5. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Team driver pay SHOULD BE $713,826,491,691,534,292,838 per day. Then it might almost be worth it to put up with team driving.
    I said almost.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    BennysPennys and 1029384746 Thank this.
  6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Most of the companies advertising 80 cpm are 1099 without benefits. So just be aware of what you're giving up for that beautiful mileage rate.

7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Also, you can make more money buy sharing showers, getting the 2-1 roller grill items, etc...

8. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    You beat me to it...not many legit gigs with that high of a mileage rate.

I'm one the lucky ones that teams with my wife, and we are happy with it. I might be able to team with my best friend if I didn't have her, but definitely not some rando.

We make .92 a mi, and are on pace to make $102-104k this year. We are going to work a total of 37 weeks this year, so we could make more if we wanted.

9. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    Gross as of today's check...not being bragadocious or anything, just what is possible. Anyone still settling for $50k doing otr is getting ripped off. (paycheck was less than usual due to partial 4600mi week) Screenshot_20211209-115953_Chrome.jpg

BennysPennys and TravR1 Thank this.
  10. buckmanmike

buckmanmike Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2010
    in the country, georgia
    Plantfoam, I assume that pay is what you each earned? Correct? Ive been retired a couple of years but made low 6 figures at .68/mile on a dedicated run. 5 days a week, except 6 days Thanksgiving till Christmas. I took Dec 25 to Jan 25th off.

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  11. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    It is not a hard math. Team each of you are getting your .90cpm "per shift", solo makes .80cpm "per shift". The only difference is your team "shift" is total team miles divided by 2, cuz one may hit mountains, slow states, etc. Is it worth it? To each his own.

BennysPennys Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.