The Driver Shortage Myth

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Thane, Jul 16, 2018.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    If there's driver shortage truck stops wouldn't be packed by 5pm

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That's just the economy on fire a little bit right now, if you cram all the drivers you can in now while crying driver shortage and the best pay since the beginning of trucking, the minute the economy starts slowing down you can cut drivers wages and blame the economy, now they're afraid to leave their crappier wages for fear of not being able to find a job somewhere else. Wages do not go up at the same rate as inflation and cost of living because once you give somebody a raise it'll be hell if you try taking it back.

4. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    Sounds about right.

Strange how that works isn't it. As I've said for the past year, there's not a shortage of drivers per-say, there's a shortage of drivers willing to deal with the bs.

5. AlBig

AlBig Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    That's the one that never touched the steering wheel

6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    When everyone parks at the same time and turns every truck stop on busy lane into a sardine can, you would not seem to think there is a driver shortage, but that is one example.

TheyCallMeDave Thanks this.
  7. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    unemployment is at an all time low right now. There are employee shortages everywhere, in many industries. The rates are going up, pay is going up. The government is even paying for school for truckers right now.

8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I like more info.

9. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    No, it's true. There is a shortage of drivers willing to work for crap wages.

10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    shogun Thanks this.
  11. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm not downing a college degree, I'm simply saying they made it out like that was the only way. Out of all people I know who went to college, MAYBE 25% were able to get jobs with their degree. Now there is a shortage for laborers which are VERY necessary. My husband has gone through many courses for his field and he is amazing at what he does. When I was in school they use to say things like "you don't want to end up a garbage man". I don't understand why they put down any profession and told us the only way to make a good and happy living was to go to college. I went to college and all I have is a lot of debt.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.