The Estes Experience

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by cjbrents, Apr 20, 2019.

1. cjbrents

cjbrents Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2013
    In the summer of 2018, I acquired three endorsements on my Class A CDL: Hazmat, Tanker & Doubles/Triples. I immediately began applying to every LTL who was currently hiring in my area. Sadly, there were only three: ABF, Old Dominion & Estes.

I truly believe God Almighty directed me to the company I work for today. I called ABF, and the lady on the other end of the phone kept responding to all of my questions with, “you don’t want to work here,” or, “you aren’t going to like what we have to offer.”

After a few minutes of this back-and-forth, I thanked her for her time and hung up. I called Old Dominion, but they were only hiring for a City P&D Driver, and I wanted a Linehaul spot. Besides, the person I needed to speak to wasn’t there that particular day.

A few days had passed before I finally gave in and called Estes. I spoke with the terminal manager. He answered all of my questions. When I found out that Estes paid close to what Old Dominion offers, I jumped onboard. Filled out the online application, got a call from the recruiter, and the 8-week background check began.

Everything turned out fine, and I’m as happy today about being here as I was the day I got the call from the terminal manager asking me for a day I could start. It’s been great!

I’ve learned how to hook up the dolly to the lead trailer, and back the trailer w/ dolly into the rear. Not as hard as people think, just takes some practice.

So... I’ll tell you about my first few weeks below.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cjbrents

Feb 2, 2013
    Week 1

Day 1: Orientation

I filled out the usual paperwork (direct deposit, W2, etc), and watched about four hours worth of video. Super easy! I got paid for the entire time I was there, too.

Days 2-4: P & D Ride-Along

I drive half the day, the city driver drives the other half, and we made deliveries. P & D pulls 53’ dry vans, though not fully loaded. Pretty laid back gig!

You drive onto the customer’s property, pick a door, back in, go inside, speak to the customer, open the trailer door (roller door!), let down the dock plate, and either pull the freight out yourself, or let the customer pull their freight from your trailer (depends on the customer and the freight). Once this is done, get the bills signed and return to truck. Input a few things into the computer, and carry on with the day.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. cjbrents

Feb 2, 2013
    The reason a Linehaul driver, which is what I am, rode along with P&D/City Driver’s is because the terminal manager wasn’t sure when I’d get my assigned truck. He knew one was coming, but hadn’t received word about when this truck would be at the terminal.

The way he and I were both thinking is that I would run the city for a flat rate of pay until my truck did arrive. However, I never had to run the city.

speedyk Thanks this.
  5. cjbrents

Feb 2, 2013
    Week 2

Days 1-2: Linehaul Ride-Along

Got to the terminal at 8pm. Received paperwork detailing which trailer was lead and which trailer was to be in the rear. Went outside, hooked the dolly to the tractor’s pintle hook, positioned the dolly in front of the rear trailer, and dropped it there.

Pulled the tractor around to hook up to the lead trailer, and pulled in front of the dolly, trying to line up (as perfectly as I could) the lead trailer with the dolly and rear trailer. With a foot to spare from hitting the dolly, I got out of the truck and hooked the dolly to the lead trailer.

Once that was done, I backed the tractor, lead trailer, and dolly into the rear trailer, until I heard the fifth wheel of the dolly ‘click’ (which usually means the kingpin is locked in). Got out to ensure this was the case, then proceeded to hook up air and electrical lines from the dolly to the lead and rear trailers.

Took that load to a terminal 150 miles down the road, dropped it, and then had to do it all over again to bring them back to my home terminal. This linehaul driver does this 4 times per night, five nights per week. Yikes! What a work out!

All-in-all, I love it!

Five days of training complete, and my truck was assigned to me. Brand new 2019 Freightliner Cascadia (day cab with tandem axle); only 700 miles on the truck when I got it.

Now... after nine months... truck has over 107k on the odometer. Of course, the downside of working at Estes is the slip seat situation. The truck may be assigned to you, but when your truck is on the yard, and you’re at home for home-time, a P&D/City Driver will use your truck. I don’t understand why, but it happens.

Other than that, I’ve made good money, a few friends, and now I’m looking toward heavy haul. I’ve already got my three years of dry van freight, I need two years of open deck if I ever want to work for Southern Pride as an O/O.

6. cjbrents

Feb 2, 2013
    Week 3

Got my truck!

Day 1

Headed to Springfield, then off to Atoka. Got to the terminal that evening and had to set up my doubles. Once completed, I signed paperwork and took off. Broke the set of doubles down when I got to Springfield, then set up another pair! Broke that set down in Atoka, then went to the motel.

Day 2

Second day was basically the same, just different terminals. The only difference was that I didn’t have to break down or set up doubles when I got to Tulsa, they were already set up, and I dropped the whole set there on the yard.

Two stops. Two hooks. Two drops.

Day 3

Started in St Louis. Had to find my trailers in the yard and set up another double (we do this a lot). Once I was finished, I went inside to get my paperwork, then input some information on the computer. After that, I took off toward Dallas.

Dropped in Irving, went to the motel. Easy day!

Day 4

Went to the terminal in Irving to pick up a van (53’ trailer) and dropped it in the Dallas yard (6 miles away). Set up a double in Dallas and took it to Kansas City. Another easy day!

Day 5

Spent 12 hours in the motel instead of 10. It was my final day out for the week, and I was ready to get home. Left Kansas City and headed to Tulsa, then home.

I had to wait for the wife to pick me up from the terminal, and she wasn’t going to be there for about 2.5 hours, so I made $120 in Drop & Hook Pay by moving and replacing a few trailers in the docks.

Easy money! First week was great!

88 Alpha and speedyk Thank this.
  7. cjbrents

Feb 2, 2013
    My first month of driving extraboard, and I loved the heck out of it! I’m not sure if I can post any parts of my check on here, but if you’re concerned about the money being made over here, I can just tell you what I made that month.

Pay period beginning on 7/22 and ending on 8/18 (approx. one month) $7,124.74 (Gross)

Keep in mind, this is the bottom of the payscale, and top out pay is 24 or 36 months from hire date!

Linehaul/extraboard is nothing more than OTR, really. You spend each night in a hotel, rather than your truck. You work five days a week, unless you request to stay out longer. You’ll always have 34 hours off, and sometimes a little over 48 hours off, depending on the freight and time and location and so on. They’ll deadhead you 600 miles if they have to get you home. It’s happened a few times for me.

Eventually, my goal is to obtain a scheduled linehaul run, that is, a dedicated run. Out-and-back, home daily, off weekends. That’s more my cup of tea there. I know it’ll be a year, possibly two, before a position opens up. However, I’m more interested in a heavy haul run, which no LTL carrier can offer.

There’s always an ad or two from LTL companies hiring in different positions. I had to ask the Terminal Manager why they were always hiring. He told me it was because no one wanted to run over the road anymore.

So, if you’re currently an OTR driver, and looking to make a change, give LTL a try! One year experience required. Hazmat, doubles/triples, and tanker endorsements are required. Steady employment history, not seeking job hoppers.

If you meet those requirements, I’d recommend LTL to every driver in the country. If you’re thinking of becoming a driver, think of LTL. Many companies have their own driving schools, too.

John Joel Glanton and speedyk Thank this.
  8. cjbrents

Feb 2, 2013
    I am still employed by Estes, almost 10 months now. This is, and has always been, the best job I’ve ever had. I mean, I’ve worked for some crummy companies who offered dirt for pay. This carrier is a step way above any that I’ve worked for in the past, for sure.

I’ve been here through the slow time of the year. It’s been slow since mid-December, and now it’s mid-April. I have held in because the pay hasn’t faltered by much. Yes, my paychecks have ran lower than the norm, but I still grossed over $20k between January & March. Nothing to complain about.

I honestly believe a person can make $90k in their first year of employment here. I’m two-and-a-half months from my first year anniversary, and I’ve already made a little over $67k. Of course, things can always change.

Y’all be safe. I’m done with the Estes Blog...

9. yankatank

yankatank Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    Yeah, I was only at Estes for right over 4 months(personal issues came up) but LOVED EVERY BIT OF IT! Made right around $25K! I'm very seriously thinking of going back. What barn are you out of?

cjbrents Thanks this.
  10. cjbrents

Feb 2, 2013
    I’m out of Little Rock. You should think about coming back, I made $20,667 from January through March this year - and that’s the slow season!

Money here is great! I hope you give them another try

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  11. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    As an extra board and linehaul you can make great money. City P&D not so much. At least here in my barn management is pretty stingy with them hours.

RookieJ1987, cjbrents and X-Country Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.