The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    10-4, thanks Blair. How do ya like that Detroit compared to your old N14?

blairandgretchen and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I bloody hated it. Till now.

Couldn’t believe the thing wouldn’t pull a hill the same, not that I thought the N-14 was a bulldozer, I passed it off as the lower displacement.

Now it’s like a little rocket ship.

Maintenance wise, not too much difference. Haven’t had much ‘oil slobbering ‘ issues that others complain about, so far.

I think I can live with a green motor.

4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I take it that you are smiling now.

Terry270 and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    @blairandgretchen since you was so kind to call me to let me know you started the grill up and was cracking open a beer just after i watched 6 hours tick away to pick up that cheap back haul i thought I'd let ya know how it turned out. I was gonna miss the cut off by 30 freaking minutes to get unloaded today. knew i had to do something drastic, did not want to give back the load i had picking up later today paying 1980 on 503 miles. Called up the reciever and offered 200 cash to whomever wanted to wait 30 minutes to unload me and sign the bills for this garbage. Cheap backhaul just got even cheaper. The guy on the phone actually thought i was joking. He didn't believe a truck driver would pay 200 bucks just to get this junk off the trailer instead of waiting all weekend with it. I finally got it through to him i wasnt kidding, i needed to get unloaded and was willing to make it work. Once i got there i never saw such a helpful fork lift driver. He jumped up on the trailer and started loosening the binders the moment i set the brakes.

Its been a long week. But a good money week. 2 good money loads delivered, 2 decent paying backhauls delivered and a third good money load on for Monday delivery. I'm out of hours and sitting outside my shippers gate, but i got it loaded and strapped down and all weekend to get to south Carolina.

Even managed to get an awesome paying light load for next week to get me back home. I'll be sure to call ya from my back yard as I'm opening up a beer. If there is such a thing as karma, you will be getting that call just as soon as you finish rolling up iced up frozen tarps. In the rain.

Seriously tho, it was good to talk to you again. Glad everything is going well for you and yours. Tell the missus i said hey.

6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Oh great! Now these places are going to start charging us $200 to unload there stuff like a refer. I hope you didn’t start something?

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Ya sorry about that. But sometimes drastic measures are needed.

In other news, i woke up to a thin sheet of ice covering my truck. Looks like my attempt to cast a hex on blair backfired. Karma sucks.

8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    CC5C41DD-C16D-457E-815F-C6425229FB79.jpeg

Had an AC line splice at the bunk come apart, lost all the freon. Last year some time, so I left it over winter. While the system was empty, I thought it’d be a good time to take the evaporator out and clean it.

Look at the nasty thing. When I bought the truck the filter was missing. I didn’t come easily - the bottom connection was utterly frozen - had to cut it.

New evaporator $488, and the attached line on the firewall - $165, new drier, 4 lbs of freon - all good to go.

The blower motor no longer sounds tortured, but I might replace it anyhow.

sawmill, Terry270, Tug Toy and 7 others Thank this.
  9. Old Man

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Best be carful, the ac will blow your hat off.

Oxbow, blairandgretchen and RStewart Thank this.
  10. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    1C47570A-3B3C-4255-98DA-A8A1AE8AE698.jpeg

Now, this little bugger.

I changed the oil in it 6 weeks ago, ran it, shut it off. Next time I went to use it - no go. Off to school I went.

Discovered the classes and teachers are fairly empty. Most users are fancy butt RV owners, and the majority of knowledge ends about where the start switch is.

Having trouble shot it to death, I nailed it down to the ‘brain’. The all knowing, controlling thing. I took it down to my mechanic, we concluded together, and yanked it out and sent it to Cummins - it’s an Onan.

Reason being - brain is $1600+, we buy brain and brain no go, we own it. Cummins messes it up, they own it. It’s missing a bottom cover, ordered that too, and a couple of hinges and whatnot.

Roses and raspberries for Cummins.

Overnight freight is 10% of part cost - yeah, $160 for Memphis to Joplin is a bit steep. So, next Wednesday for the brain. No way of arranging freight yourself.

90 day warranty on brain. Wow - that’s faith in your product.

$125/hour labor. Ok.

However, sign up to some stupid club for $20 and get 10% off parts and labor - sign up I did!

All told, I’ll be $2700 deep at Cummins, and the off and on labor at my mechanic.

The good thing with my mechanic is, well lots of things actually - they let me assist with repairs. I have an amazing way of making things go faster and smoother when I’m handing wrenches, muscling heavy stuff, and I’m the guy that asks a billion questions while I’m at it - learning more all the time.

So, the big sleeper is nice, but comes with its own costs, especially as I bought used. Countered with the costs of idling, showers, food, cold start/battery issues, and the priceless joy of hot coffee and a morning dump without leaving the truck - I still think it’s worth it.

baha, tommymonza, sawmill and 7 others Thank this.
  11. Old Man

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Yes it is worth it, once you go custom sleeper you will never go back.

Glad my generator doesn't have a brain. One rocker switch for glow plugs and start and stop.

sawmill, RStewart, Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.